Honored Contributor

Years ago when my girls were little, we went on several vacations on tour buses.  I don't mean day trips, I mean vacations that were 3,4,5 days.  We went to Washington D.C.,  Amish Country,  Niagara Falls.   Do they still have trips like that?  I can't find any.  I have friend who recently retired and she wants to do some travelling but she does not fly.  I would really like to hear from people who have actually been on a such trip in recent years or has recent knowledge of them.  She lives outside of Boston, so she'd be interested in trips that leave from Boston or even Providence.  Thanks a bunch...

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't taken any, but I have recently seen a AAA travel brochure that looked like they had some that may fit, although they are longer.

I don't think I can include a link, but the Heritage of America tour leaves from NYC and ends in DC, but I believe there is a good train system on the East coast.

The Colors of New England begins and ends in Boston.

I also just looked at Viator's website under Boston.  They have a section for Multi-day tours that could serve as a jumping off point.

Honored Contributor

Starr Tours specializes in bus tours from day trippers to cross country bus tours.

Me personally, my bus tours are done! 

Ocassionally, I did take the grands cross country on Amtrak when they were younger.  I would take the northern route going & the southern route coming back.

Kids loved the "sleepers" compartment.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I can think of 2 companies that do bus tours in that area about half way between Boston & Providence.  

Foxy Travel n Linwood,Ma &. Fox Tours in Millbury,,Ma.  Maybe that helps.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Some senior centers sponsor trips. We took a 3-4  day trip to Gettysburg several years ago.

Respected Contributor

We took many tours over the years with Tauck and with AAA.  Tauck is a bit more expensive, but the quality is exceptional.

Respected Contributor

We require freedom to do where we want when we want. and we don't like doing touristy  things. So, organized tours of any kind are out. However, my elderly aunt has taken a number of bus tours and enjoyed them. She is happy with the usual tourist stops and doesn't mind everything being planned out for her ( which I would hate). It lets her get away without the worrybif driving. AARP, regionalntravel magazines, and state- sponsored tourism publications often carry ads for such tour companies. 

Respected Contributor

One of the things that I disliked about cruising was that nearly all of the shore excursions involved riding a bus, which I really dislike. Imagine how I surprised myself last fall by going a Cosmos tour to several national parks. I flew in to Las Vegas, and then spent 8 days at Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Parks. We also went to Monument Valley and Lake Powell. I did a couple of helicopter trips, along with a LOT of hiking. The majority of my fellow group members were from Australia and New Zealand and also viewed the bus ride as a just a way to get where we were going, rather than the trip itself. I had a great time!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Re: Tour Buses trips

[ Edited ]

Our first tour was with Cosmos. In retrospect it was the one we enjoyed the most.

Trusted Contributor

We have some friends that took at bus tour and they said never again. They said that it was up a 6am every morning to get to the next place.

But I think for older people that don't want to drive or can't, I think it would be a good thing.