Honored Contributor

Re: The 27 Most Beautiful Places in America

@q-girl It sounds wonderful! Definitely anything that makes you feel like a part of you was left behind when you leave is something special.

Several of the posters feel that way when they have been to Africa, me included. There just are some places that touch every part of your being when you are there, and you feel like you left a part of you when you depart. Heart 

Esteemed Contributor

My state is not known for its natural beauty.  I therefore take what little I can get.  Ventured an hour away from the city to see this yesterday:

temporary.jpg

This was taken at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie. But, really, my city is known for its architecture (of which I don't have a good photo on my iPhone!)

IMG_0237.JPG

There's a different kind of beauty found in cities. 

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Thanks for the photos. I love seeing wildflowers. And I recognize that bean! ha! I have seen many photos of it and I think it is so unique. Have you gone inside? I am curious how the layout is inside that structure. 

Honored Contributor

The Marginal Way in Ogunquit, Maine. A coastal walkway that is breathtaking. I haven't been in years but it is my peaceful, happy place.

Wish all my troubles could disappear and I could be there right now. Ogunquit Beach surrounds it and is beautiful as well.

download.jpgWhat-a-day-to-sail.jpg9298782543_757f16ff74_b.jpg

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 WOW!!! What a beautiful place that is. I have never heard of Ogunquit and am pretty sure I am mispronouncing the word. ha!

Honored Contributor

Nubble Lighthouse Cape Neddick Maine

185256131.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler It's pronounced just the way you would by syllable...o..gun..quit☺ The name means beautiful place by the sea, I think it's Native American?

It is such a special place. Walkable and there's a trolley in the summer. Lots of lodging, some right along the Marginal Way with views. Quaint shops and touristy shops. Seafood restaurants. Ocean tour boats. A small art museum and a playhouse. The beach is not ticky tacky except for one old hotel.

My favorite time to go for a trip was always in May or June before school gets out, or September after it starts. An accepting, non snooty beach town where it always seems to be live and let live. You can also drive to York, Kennebunkport, outlet stores from there.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@Alter Ego Have you gone inside? I am curious how the layout is inside that structure. 

Although ive passed by it multiple times (and my dentist overlooks it), I've actually only gone to the Bean (officially Cloud Gate) a couple times.  It really is very cool!! This is the photo taken from underneath. You don't go inside.

IMG_0238.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 Oh, my, absolutely LOVE the additional photos you posted. I must update my bucket list! ha!

Thanks for the pronunciation guide. That was helpful. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego Underneath? Now I am totally amazed. You shot this second photo underneath the bean-shaped structure? That is amazing.