Honored Contributor

Re: TSA and going through screening

While I agree there is absolutely no consistency in how the rules are applied, I will bet my next paycheck that a cargo vest is a huge red flag and you will be pulled aside for additional screening.

Your best bet is to empty the pockets and take it off.

Your safest bet is to even try it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I also want my hubby to wear Cargo Pants.  Bet he will have problems even if the pockets are totally empty.  Not sure.  Not something that is on the website... I don't think.

Respected Contributor

Bonnielu..I fly over 75000 miles a year. 

Pack liquids in your check through..the ship provides soap, shampoo etc.

take tour meds in your carry on.. make sure all of your prescription bottles are labeled.

shoes and jackets need to go off..that includes your cargo vest.

all electronics go in a separate bin. 

Empty al, pockets. 

If if you get a personal screening do not be surprised. And cooperate with a smile.

you will only have to go through screening once..you will be fine in your connecting airport.

i know that you are going on a Hawaiian cruise..IT IS VERY HOT AND HUMID THERE..I think you will be too warm in a cargo vest..just my opinion.

when you check into the airport on your return your luggage has to be scanned for any fruits or vegetables. You cannot bring them into or out of the state.

enjoy....

Esteemed Contributor

@sydsgma1  You nailed it... Hawaii.  Just first time we will be in a warm climate for that long.  I am a cold weather gal and dress winter, spring and fall all year round.  No real summer clothes.  Hate shorts and sleeveless tops. I should move to Alaska or somewhere in outer space.  LOL.  In any case Hawaii, our last state to  visit.  I am going a bit crazy.  Our trip is one month away and I have packed a wheeled garment  bag to check and a 25 inch bag as well.  The hard part is the long "ride" to Hawaii.  I cannot just avoid the carry ons.  I want easy access but have no clue what really will fit or  not.  I guess I might be overpacking on the checked side or I perhaps should take a bigger bag than 25 inches, but I am five feet tall and really don't want to wrestle with my luggage.  

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Liquids have to be 3 ounces or less all in a 1 quart bag, you can buy re usable 3-1-1 bags on Amazon. Also your medications do not need to be part of the 3-1-1 bag they can be presented separately

Unless you are TSA pre checked.   Then the liquids don't matter.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Liquids have to be 3 ounces or less all in a 1 quart bag, you can buy re usable 3-1-1 bags on Amazon. Also your medications do not need to be part of the 3-1-1 bag they can be presented separately

Unless you are TSA pre checked.   Then the liquids don't matter.   

TSA pre-check still needs to follow the 3-1-1 rule.  They just don’t need to take the items out of their carry-on bag.

Honored Contributor

I just flew domestically on American last week. If you don't have pre_check be prepared to take your vest off and empty the pockets. Shoes will have to be removed too (I always make sure to wear socks). Your vest isn't considered a "personal item" but will probably still have to be removed like a jacket.

I went through the scanner, didn't set off any metal alarms but was still chosen randomly for a pat down (I noticed that several other women were too). You never know if they might select you too....yes it's annoying but what can you do?!

I checked my large bag and carried on a small rolling bag that could easily fit under the seat if need be but I opted for the over head bin. I brought my Travelon handbag and everything worked out well. 

Hope you have a great trip!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am thinking that emtying all of the pockets will really be a pain. I am going to Florida this week and not checking my bag for time's sake. (I take a bus to the airprot which is an hour a way and when I come home, I don't have a lot of time to catch the next bus bus and don't want to have to wait at baggage claim for a bag).

I am using a rolling 20 inch carryon suitcase and trying the packaging cubes for the first time. Have done some packing and they are very nice and I am rolling my clothing. I am using a small for undergarments, a small for bathing suits and coverup, a medium for tank tops and t-shirts and a large for shorts, I am wearing capri pants, jacket and a tee shirt on the plane and will wear that coming home.

I purchased a Lug packpack last year and that will serve as my personal item and my purse and will go under the seat.  I will put my wallet, passport, boarding pass and bag of liquids in the front pockets of my backpack and packed a lightweight Bagalinni purse in my carry on and will use while in Florida.

If I didn't have to catch the bus, I would definitely check my bag. In your case, 2 sets of good packing cubes would more than likely be more than the $30 baggage fee so if it were me, I would check the bag. 

P.S. I like all my "stuff" and this is going to be tough for me. LOL

Safe travels and have a great vacation!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It really doesn't matter which airline you're flying for the purposes of clearing security, because the airlines don't make the rules. The TSA does. TSA agents can (and do, as I've observed quite often) "Interpret" the rules differently. That said, the vest is an article of clothing. At a minimum, you'll need to remove everything from the pockets prior to going thru the scanner. The screener could also feel that the vest is an article of outwear and require that it be removed. If you do wear it thru the scanner and it has a lot of metal snaps and zippers, it could result in a secondary screening. 

Travel light. Put all of that stuff that you were planning on putting in the vest pockets in a small purse that slips in to your carry on. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I have a cargo vest and it goes in the bin and no, I've never had to empty the pockets.

Those vests come in handy when traveling, expecially when on excursions.  I've been to Hawaii twice and yes it can be warm but we always seemed to have a nice ocean breeze.

Don't fret too much about the packing thing, best thing you can do for yourself is to pack light!   People always overpack and don't end up wearing all of the clothing/shoes they brought.  Bring things you can wear for different occasions.   ie.  I have a pair of black skecher sneakers that I can pass with wearing a pair of black pants for dinner.  Stuff like that and don't be afraid to pack travel underwear that can be washed in the sink and dry in a couple hours!   I can travel to Europe for a month with one suitcase and one carryon.

Seriously, it can easily be done.

Aloha!!!