Esteemed Contributor

TSA and going through screening

Trying to travel light.  I know that I can take aboard our American flight one personal item and one carry on.  Got that.  I am trying to be very careful what I pack onboard.  

Can I wear a cargo vest and pants and put important things on my person? Phone, wallet, and glasses (readers)?  Is this vest considered a personal item? Do I have to empty the pockets or can I just put the entire vest on the belt to be scanned. 

I don't usually take anything aboard, I check everything... Southwest makes it easy but this time this airline is not so generous with amount of free checked bags.  

Any advice would be appreciated. MY baggage choices for check in:  Backpack, wheeled underseater, duffle, tote bag.  Hubby and I are  flying together.  I do hate the overhead and would love to just use the underseat position.  

Respected Contributor

Re: TSA and going through screening

Life is too short to let baggage get you down. I check my large bag regardless of whether or not I am charged. On board I bring a wheeled underseat bag with my electronics,chargers, jewelry, medications, extra glasses etc. My crossbody purse usually fits in as well or I wear that. DH has his own carryon bag and is responsible for his stuff.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Liquids have to be 3 ounces or less all in a 1 quart bag, you can buy re usable 3-1-1 bags on Amazon. Also your medications do not need to be part of the 3-1-1 bag they can be presented separately

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu 

This will be interesting to see responses, but my guess is:

-A cargo vest is not a ‘personal item’

-A cargo vest does not need to be emptied for scan.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Vests are not considered personal items. Pockets have to be emptied & items put thru the scanning belt. I’m not sure if you have to remove  your vest.It depends on the TSA agent.Sometimes  I have to remove my jacket/ sweater & sometimes I don’t.If you have to remove your vest or if you choose to then you don’t have to empty it.

When I get prescreened status I don’t have to remove or empty anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Going through security, everything has to come out of your pockets.  This would include a cargo vest. The vest clothing like a jacket or coat.  Unless you have TSA Pre-Check, the vest has to come off, placed in bin and scanned. 

You're allowed one personal item and one carry-on. Take a purse. One can go under the seat and on in the overhead bin. There is very little room under the seat for items.  That's why it is important to pack light because you have pick up and lift your own bag.  Sometimes flight attendants will if someone is having difficulty or other passengers will help.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu:   For peace of mine, you should check the airlines website for all of the TSA do's and dont's.

Esteemed Contributor

Like others, it’s a guess, but I would assume that you could take off the vest like you would a jacket and put it in the bin. Don’t know what kind of phone you have, but I’ve been stopped for my larger “plus” phone, so now take it out automatically (and even had a separate TSA agent comment approvingly.)

I don’t think they like when people try to get around the rules, like wearing multiple layers so they don’t have to check bags. Doesn’t sound like this is what you are doing. And, as long as you don’t go over the liquid or powder amounts, I can’t imagine it matters.

But, honestly, it sounds kind of bulky to me and the items you are mentioning that you would put in it can probably fit in someplace else. It’s not something I would do, but maybe you like these kind of vests and regularly use them.
Honored Contributor

The problem with knowing is different airports or the same airport at a different time do things differently.  I find there is no consistency.  For example, I take my kindle out of my carryon bag and am told I didn't need to take it out.  Next time I keep it in my carryon and am scolded for not taking it out.  I get pulled aside because my knee and stomach light up going through the scanner at the local airport.  Never get pulled aside coming back.  It's all me under the clothes, no metal anything.

So you have to take off anything that looks like a coat.  Cargo vest, probably.  Nothing can go through scan, but the clothing you are wearing.  Take off shoes, jewelry, belt, anything in pockets.  A separate bin for liquids, computer/tablet, coat, pocketbook.  Shoes and carryon can go without bin.  This changes though if you are pre-TSA.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu -

I agree with everyone who said you will probably have to take off your vest (can leave things in pockets unless liquids which to be safe, put in a quart bag.I have always had to take off any outer coat/jacket type clothing.

One thing I learned and this may be surprising -I was pulled out because of my jeans with rhinestones on the pockets and they then scanned me etc. So I don't wear things with "sparkles" I can't take off anymore.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"