Contributor

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on a long weekend trip to st. Augustine Florida? Never been there was thinking of visiting that area but don't know much about it. Are the beaches good, things to do plentiful? I would appreciate any suggestions or comments anyone has thank you hope you all have a great week.

Trusted Contributor

I live near there and retired from  the National Park Service in St. Augustine a year ago.  My daughter lives in St. Augustine and I would be happy to help.  Downtown is not walking distance to the beach.  The beaches are nice and as long as you have 4 wheel drive you can drive on them at various points.

If the beach is more your thing, stay on Anastasia Island, if you  think you might want to do more down town type things get a room downtown where your parking will be included in your stay and then you can always drive over to the beach.

There is lots of shopping and of course lots of history.  The Castillo de San Marcos National Monument is there, Flagler College that you can tour and is AMAZING.  if you have kids there is an excellent Pirate museum and the oldest school house.  Lots of cute little shops, A cute Little Christmas store, a couple of wine shops, a distillery.  Lightner museum is something to take in.  This is all downtown and Very walkable as driving downtown is nuts.  There are also Trolly's  you can take, hop on and hop off and get a quick history of the town.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask more questions.  Oh and make room reservatoins IN ADVANCE as St Augustine is always busy.

Trusted Contributor

@Travel61 wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on a long weekend trip to st. Augustine Florida? Never been there was thinking of visiting that area but don't know much about it. Are the beaches good, things to do plentiful? I would appreciate any suggestions or comments anyone has thank you hope you all have a great week.

@Travel61  @Miss Pepsi    St. Augustine is beautiful location.  @Miss Pepsi  had many great recommendations.  I used to live in Palm Coast for a few years.  My parents lived there for 20 years.  It was about 25 miles from St. Augustine.  We spent many days visiting and enjoying the history, restaurants, and numerous attractions.  There is a good site you could visit to get some ideas as to what you would like to see.   It is :

Busy Tourist St. Augustine Florida.   Enjoy your trip!   

Honored Contributor

As @Miss Pepsi said the tour of Flagler College is well worth it.

My cousin has a house near Flagler College so we took the tour. There were at least 20 of us taking the tour in the middle of the week in March. A beautiful campus.

Respected Contributor

There is also a nice winery tour.  I think it's St. Sebastian.  St. Augustine is a very nice getaway.  Harry's is an excellent restaurant right on the main street (can't recall the street name but it's in the hub of everything).

Honored Contributor

@Travel61 So glad you asked and @Miss Pepsi so pleased for your great information.   I live hours south of St. Augustine,but haven't been there since the 1980's.  I just postponed a trip nprth I was hoping to make and have been foraging for a car trip in Florida.  I remember the beauty of St. Augustine along the coast, but little about the interior.  Needless to say, it's undoubtedly different from my rxperience!

@Travel61 Be sure to take the advice about reservations -  I certainly will bevcause in the parts of Florida I'm familiar with, we're not seeing much of a slowdown even in former average years.  there was lots of availability and many bargains to be had.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Stayed at the  Casa Monica Resort  some yrs ago . Had a wonderful time sightseeing

Esteemed Contributor

Good information on this thread.  DH and I were just discussing finding a nice resort in a beach area to take a vacation at in Florida.  Good question @Travel61 , looking forward to more responses.

Super Contributor

I agree with the comments regarding St Augustine....I'm not familiar with the beaches...but ....to other suggestions I would recommend going to Cathedral Basilica...beautiful....also there is a shuttle/ trolley...which is very convenient to get around even to outskirts of the main area..I bought a 2 day pass...easy off and on...lots of drop off and pick up spots...enjoy..this is a favorite of mine ...I have been there a few times over the years...my oldest son got married at the Cathedral...

Esteemed Contributor

St. Augustine is a favorite get away for Floridians!  It is a unique place and an escape from every day life!