Respected Contributor

Everybody is giving good advice about buying your tickets beforehand. Manhattan is crazy busy in Dec. As a native, I avoid it from before Thanksgiving until mid-Jan if I can. Unfortunately this year I have a M.D. appointment in the beginning of Dec. Will run in and out as fast as possible.

Have fun and enjoy all the city has to offer!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

We are making a short trip this weekend  (arrive Sat and leave on Wed)mainly to see 911 and go out to West Point. BTW we booked the Hapmton Inn Times Square N as suggested. My sister said she has stayed there before and the location is great. 

Thanks for the recom for O Hara Pub across from 911 Memorial but I'm told that Eatly in the WTC is good too. Anyone have an opinion? 

We will be catching the Rockettes Christmas show too. I sure hope we are early enough to miss the really big crowds. We made the mistake to going in Dec and the crowds were huge everywhere.

Honored Contributor

Re: NYC travel questions

[ Edited ]

@granddi

Eataly is huge in lower manhattan than by the Flatiron district. I don't know if you are familiar with how it is set up, so here it is. The area is one large space. There are many smaller eating areas whether it is with waiter service or take the food and find a seat. I never sat down ine their restaurants but have sample their other goods. It is visually stunning with the many cheeses, desserts, seafood and meats. I know you will enjoy this visit. How could I forget pasta lol

Have fun in NYC and bundle up We had a warm spell but that is gone as of today. It is still early for the 'holiday' season so you should be able to enjoy the Christmas show at Radio City. 

Super Contributor

We visited last May and along with many other places, visited Ellis Island and the 911 memorial.  I agree with everyone about buying tickets ahead but I want to add one more suggestion.  These places are amazing.  If you are a history bluff, schedule enough time to take in and read the displays and look at the photos.   My husband and I spent over three hours at the 911 memorial.  We took the outside tour which is a must.  There is also a film that is interesting too.  NYC did a spectacular job with the memorial.  From there we took a cab to tour The Tenement Museum and a tenement apartment.  Tickets are a must here and it is an interesting insight to immigrant housing and way of life upon arrival to America.

Enjoy your visit!

Honored Contributor

@Tshirtgal wrote:

We visited last May and along with many other places, visited Ellis Island and the 911 memorial.  I agree with everyone about buying tickets ahead but I want to add one more suggestion.  These places are amazing.  If you are a history bluff, schedule enough time to take in and read the displays and look at the photos.   My husband and I spent over three hours at the 911 memorial.  We took the outside tour which is a must.  There is also a film that is interesting too.  NYC did a spectacular job with the memorial.  From there we took a cab to tour The Tenement Museum and a tenement apartment.  Tickets are a must here and it is an interesting insight to immigrant housing and way of life upon arrival to America.

Enjoy your visit!

I also recommend the Tenement Museum and Tenement apartment. Very interesting.