Esteemed Contributor

Re: Must Have's in a Hotel Stay

We travel often and prefer a 5 Star hotel but if not available, anything under 4 Star is not acceptable. The better hotels are well appointed/ attended a
and have the necessary amenities for us.

In room an iron, ironing board & a safe
A walk in shower; I hate when I have to climb over a tub to get to a shower.
We rarely use the mini bar and never use a coffee set up so we don’t care if they are there or not
Money exchange within the hotel
Climate control thermostat that works

Best view depending where we stay

A helpful, polite concierge

Security. It is more important in some countries

Availability of medical help. Both my husband and I have become Ill during travel. He was in ICU in Thailand so I do ask our travel agent to check if traveling alone. We travel with Tauck and they do have local contacts & tour directors are well versed re medical emergencies.

Bottled water

Money exchange within the hotel.
Valued Contributor

We spend a  lot of time traveling in Maine , the Inn you were talking about reminded me of our favorite place in Greenville,  Maine...The Blair Hill Inn, love the luxury, food and the view from the front porch

@Enufstuff wrote:

We don't travel often, but when we do, we want luxury. Of course, clean and comfortable are foremost. I am not interested

in cooking on vacations. I want a breakfast served to me or a nice breakfast buffet, where they can make waffles or omelets for you.

The two places we go to in Maine and the two hotels in Bermuda where we stay, have fluffy white robes provided ( but not to take home with us). In Bermuda, I like to have a room safe for my valuables. We also want an ocean view at our Bermuda hotels.

I like that they all provide fresh bottles of water daily and have ample bathroom counter space and good lighting for applying makeup.

We are staying at our favorite inn in Maine in 2 weeks. This will be the first time travelling since covid.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

clean room with lots of storage space

large TV

really like non - carpeted flooring (this is a new "want")

icemaker close by

vending machine close by

small refrigerator

a safe for personal items

iron and hair dryer

king sized bed preferred

a bar in the lobby or in the restaurant area

A/C that can freeze a penguin. lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I'm not on vacation to spend time in a hotel. I'm there to see sights, experiences and eat regional food of where I'm at. I don't spend much time in the hotel. The exception being Disney where the whole experience including where you stay is melded together! And a spa resort.

Overall I'm looking for a quiet place, CLEAN (cannot stress this enough), doesn't cater to little kids (except Disney), has a bathroom door you can close, and has a mini fridge. Outside of this, I could care less what amenities exist or don't.
Honored Contributor

For me, I definitely want:

Super Clean rooms

Comfy Beds

Coffee Maker

Big Shower

Pool

Restaurant/Room Service

Comfy sofa for tv watching, instead of the bed...

Sof Towels too-can't stand some hotel towels that are super thin and rough..

Free Parking is a must too! 

Honored Contributor

- Clean & safe

- Good amount of charging ports or outlets

- Coffee bar in the lobby EARLY (by 6am).  I won't use a room coffee pot or Keurig.

- Room service is always good, isn't a must.

Respected Contributor

@Stray I want to be your travel buddy! We enjoy a luxury hotel but we have found that not all 5 star hotels have rooms that match the luxury of the lobby, restaurants, shops, location, etc. 

Our experience has been that many 5 stars are historic as thus rooms are often small. Elevators are small and slow and not always conveniently located. I've wondered if Tauck (an other tours) get the less desirable rooms even though they are luxury hotels. 

On our recent Tauck in Canada, we stayed only in Fairmount hotels. Two ladies traveling together said NONE of their rooms had up dated walk in showers and they were always at the end of the hall. Our room in Quebec, was no bigger than a postage stamp. It had one straight back chair. The dresser? had no drawers for item. That space was taken up with the mini bar. The top was covered with the bar items like ice bucket so little room for personal items. 

I love a 5 star too but sometimes a newer hotel has more of what we enjoy.

Honored Contributor

Great lists!   Woman Happy