Honored Contributor

Re: Must Have's in a Hotel Stay

At our teacher's conference, we stayed in a high rise hotel.  The county payed for 1/2 of the rent for 4 days.

We didn't have a fridge, only 2 upholstered chairs with a coffee table and a coffee maker.

When I go on vacation, I rent a house on the water front.  I am not in a high rise hotel with a small amount of beach out front!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't want a microwave because I don't wantto be where others are cooking.  A tub is nice but I won't use it.  Just the shower. 

I don't want to be where the free breakfasts are because I don't like that or any kind of buffet.  I need good wifi, room service, and I am more a high rise person because they are usually quieter.

And valet parking is something we will spring for.  You can spend half your vacation parking otherwise and we don't go out many times a day.  

We used to travel so much for both of us and I had a gigantic green leather bag of some kind--maybe Vera Bradley?  Anyway, we would always take it because it was easy to spot our luggage cart!  LOL!!!  I remember I got it way way way marked down somewhere and was so happy!  

Respected Contributor

Good wifi, numerous charging options, a chair other than a desk chair.  We always request a room away from the elevator and near an exit on a lower floor.  I travelled a lot for work.  I remember the story of a list a fire fighter gave to his wife of what to look for in a hotel.  His wife was a flight attendant.  I always locate the exit and count the doorways from my room to the exit. This was one of his pieces of advice to his wife in the event of heavy smoke in a fire.

Like most, when we travel to the same place, we usually choose the same hotel so there are no surprises.  When we vacation for a week or longer, it is usually a house rental so less of an issue.  LM

Respected Contributor

Coffee maker and no loud neighbors. I do like when breakfast is included. It saves a lot of money and time that comes with eating out.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually prefer a bed and breakfast but we have stayed in numerous hotels over the years.  I don't need a refrigerator or a micorwave, when I am on vacation I am not cooking or warming up anything!    Of course clean, comfy and quiet are the most important things for us.  I would rather have tile than carpet but many times that is not an option........GROSS!    And I never, ever use the Kuerig machine in the room.  #1 You never know the last time the water was changed and the worst part #2,  is my cousin has traveled for years for his company.   He advised me that other travel business people have told him they actually use the Kuerig to clean their socks, they put them in the pot and run the hot water into it, OMG!  Never got over that story.

Trusted Contributor

An ironing board and iron.  Coffee available either in room or in public room all morning.

Respected Contributor

If I stay in a hotel, the location is critical. I want my hotel convenient to whatever brought me to that city. Luxury is a must. I do not like staying in hotels so they have to offer something worth my patronage.

Honored Contributor

#1 is location.

The room must be clean and a nice size.   I love really nice thick, large towels.  I don't care about a bath tub.  I would never take a bath in a hotel room.  The last hotel we stayed at had a beautiful shower with a little ledge for putting your foot to shave your legs.  

I never make  coffee in the room.  But having a Starbucks or a coffee place in the lobby is very nice.  I don't want to leave the hotel without my coffee.  LOL

A room safe is another must.

A place to charge my phone.  I don't like using the USB ports on the lamps or clock radios.  

Honored Contributor

The only place I've stayed (since my DH passed away) when I've traveled to a city in Southern Calif. is a Residence Inn and I love it. Sparkling clean, a non smoking property, great fridge with built in ice maker, hair dryer (a MUST), I really have never had any complaints. The housekeeping staff are all wonderful and I always tip very well.

Valued Contributor

I just returned from two weeks in Ireland and stayed at a number of different hotels.  The rooms were very clean, but they are quite different then here in the states.  No fridges, no coffee makers and no chairs to sit in.  A few of them did have electric kettles, but they are attached to trays that you move from the closet to the counter and the only place you can use them is in the bathroom as the kettle is attached to the tray.  Unless you fill them with bottled water.  They do have wonderful deep bathtubs and it was nice soaking in them after a long day.