Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii Recommendations

[ Edited ]

Maui.

I suggest renting a car and driving around the island.  There are fun shopping streets, malls, and markets throughout Maui.  

Be sure to visit the Haleakalā volcano National Park.  I remember driving roads that meander  through the black lava.  Looked like another planet.  

Check out the waterfalls.  

Driving through the pineapple plantations was interesting.  

Take a boat to see whales.  

I always stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel, so don't know about others.  I give it 10 stars.  

Respected Contributor

What is your budget?  What are your goals?  What is your time availability?  Most of my trips are less than two weeks, as I have pets at home.

I always want to see as much as possible when I travel, unless I am going somewhere only to relax. Now that I am a bit older, I like to splurge and stay in nice places when I travel.

Are you a beach person?  Do you like water activities or cultural activities?

I have been to Hawaii on cruises which stopped at all the major islands, so I had a taste of each island.  Cruising is great because the ship is like a floating hotel.

The main island is Oahu, and the city of Honolulu is a must-see.  My favorite hotels are the luxurious Royal Hawaiian, the historic Moana, and the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  All hotels are beachfront, but there are numerous other choices at all prices.

Must-sees are Pearl Harbor, Iolani Palace and Waikiki Beach.  Luaus are fun events to attend there. My brother also climbed DIamond Head.

The water is a bit rougher than the Caribbean--we have been snorkeling and swimming, and husband went scuba diving.

If you are intrepid and interested in nature, the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island is a fascinating adventure.  Be prepared for a fair amount of walking, and bring your camera!

Maui is the island for the beach-babies.  There are fabulous resorts there with lovely pools on famous Ka'anapali beach.  Lahaina is a quaint whaling town, and some folks like the long and scenic drive to Hana. I also climbed to the top of the Iao Valley Monument--great views!

Kaui is the garden isle. There are lots of waterfalls and scenic views.  The Na Pali coastline is a must-see.

Helicopter rides are offered in many places and it is worth it to do it at least once for a spectacular perspective.

Don't forget to try to Hawaiian shaved ice--scrumptious!

Costs can fluctuate greatly for airfares depending on the time of year one travels.

There are many, many websites with information, and you should consider using a travel agent who could help answer your questions and make your arrangements, if you are not sure of your needs, interests or budget.

Regular Contributor

You've got some good advice here.  How many islands to see depends on your length of vacation.  Traveling between the islands can use up the better part of a day, even though the flights are 30 minutes approx.

I prefer to see one island for a week before moving on to the next.  If Maui is one of the islands I plan to visit I use the West Maui airport (code JHM) because it is only a few minutes from Kaanapali, Kapalua, Lahaina and very mellow compared to the big airport in Kahului (code OGG).  You don't need to check in as early at the little airport as you do at the big one.

We love the Big Island (Kona side) and my family's fav hotel is the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.  It's our favorite in the world.  It is very pricey, so if you have an AmEx card or are a Marriott Rewards member or maybe Costco or something, maybe you can catch a price break.  It sits on a stunning, soft white sand beach--took our collective breath away the first time we saw it.

On Oahu, we stay at the Alana Doubletree across street from Hilton Hawaiian.  It is a great location and can use facilities at the Hilton, but it's a little more peaceful.

Even if you don't have your hotel figured out, try to reserve a rental car.  Don't pay for it ahead of time.  If prices drop closer to trip, you can cancel and rebook.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hawaii Recommendations

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much! Any recommendations on hotels/ resorts you enjoyed your stay at? 

We are going for almost 2 weeks, the first week we are staying at an Airbnb on the Northshore of Oahu. We have to pick a hotel in Waikiki for our first night as Airbnb isn't available that night. The second week we don't have planned yet, so any recommendations on hotels/resorts places to see, islands to visit, where to eat are so appreciated! I love the beach!

Once again thank you so very much for your insight and advice!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Contributor

So Lucky!!!

Agree, crater on Maui is a must see...other wordly experience.  In Oahu we stayed at Moana Surfrider historic hotel, beautiful no streets to cross to the beach and we had a room that included the access to the Beach Lounge and a view of Diamond Head. Not cheap for sure, but what a vacation.  Don't miss dinner at Duke's just down the street. Pearl Harbor is something we will never forget, haunting.  Have a wonderful trip!

Trusted Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

Planning a trip to Hawaii.Any recommendations on what islands to see and where to stay? Thank you in advance for any help.

I won't be much help, but I will share what I know. I went to Hawaii in the late 70's. We spent a week on Oahu and a week in Kona on the big island. We stayed in 2 hotels on Oahu, both were highrise between the beach and the zoo. There are a number of hotels in that area. There is also a restaurant on the first floor of one of the hotels called Michel's, wonderful food and the require the men to wear a sport coat. I went to Hawaii with a friend who was a scuba diver so we stopped at every beach on the island so he could dive. I especially enjoyed Wiamea Falls on the North side of the island and the Hawaiian Cultural Center. I did not get to go to Pearl Harbor, but wish I had. We flew to Kona, on the big island, on a small plane and stayed at the Kona Inn. It is a small older hotel right in downtown Kona. It was perfect: Close to shops, Luau at night on the beach, and a salt water pool that was on the beach. The town has a quaint village atmosphere. We also drove several miles up the main road to the Mauna Kea Hotel. Beautiful and elegant hotel with a fabulous brunch. My spelling may not be correct so if you are looking any of these places up, just be aware. As for clothing:  I spent the entire time in my bathing suit and shorts and brought along a long skirt with a halter top for evenings. I had fresh guava juice every morning with breakfast - delicious (you must try it). It is hot and humid at all times, but not uncomfortable. It is so beautiful there, especially the turquoise water. On some of the beaches the water is so clear that you can look down and see the fish. Take your phone or a camera so you can take lots of pictures. Have a wonderful time. If you are from a large city, you will notice that the pace is much slower and very relaxing.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@kathie66 So, if you are still wondering, we own a home in Koloa Kauai. My husband and I have been to most all the islands, with the exception of the Big Island. All islands are unique and have something to offer. Our favorite by far was Kauai, hence, where we bought a 2nd home. We have a home in Carlsbad CA also so Oahu is not appealing, very So-Cal for us. Maui has more to offer as far as clubs and restaurants and such. Kauai is the Garden Isle, appropriately named. It is gorgeous but more laid back. More scenic with beautiful hikes and beaches. To whoever said Kauai was too damp? Well, they probably stayed at the north shore, Hanalei or Princeville, near Mount Waialeale, one of the wettest places on earth which makes it so lush and tropical.The south side is much more dry. Here's suggestions:

We always prefered renting a house or condo, gives you freedom to cook your own food. Many homes/condo's have chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards. Parrish is a great rental company, do not use Suite Paradise.

South Shore has a place called Puka Dogs, best Hawaiian hot dogs EVER. Located at Brennecke's near Poipu beach.

Keoke's Paradise for an amazing dinner if you like local caught fish, you must have a Hula Pie for dessert.

Best Shave Ice is Uncles in the Kukuiula shopping center. Also, Jo Jo's in Waimea.

East Side has an awesome Farmers Market every Saturday morning located across from the community college in Kapaa. You cannot leave without trying the Sugarloaf White Pineapple. Sooooo sweet and delicious. 

West side has Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of Hawaii.

North Shore, Hanalei Bay, breathtaking. 

They are at 120% tourism so it is more crowded than ever. In addition, rental car agencies got rid of about 40% of their vehicles during Covid so rental cars are hard to come by. All businesses are hurting for employees so make dinner reservations well in advance.

Malama ka ‘aina i ke kai, please respect the locals, and wear reef safe sunscreen. Aloha. 

Honored Contributor

Maui, our favorite of all the islands.  Stayed in Wailea not Kaanapali.  Would like to return soon.

Respected Contributor

I've been to Hawaii three times.  Once to the Big Island and twice to Oahu.  My trip to the Big Island was cut short so I didn't spend too much time there. I remember visiting a volcano and tropical garden.  The Big Island wasn't the city like Honolulu is....at least what I was able to see/do before cutting trip short.  We are DVC Members.  Disney Vacation Club. and stayed at  Aulani twice on Oahu.  It's located In Kapolei, about 30 minutes from Honolulu airport.  So you're not in the crazy and crowds of Honolulu.  It's an absolutely gorgeous resort.  I liked Oahu because there was more to do and see.  Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Northshore (food trucks, surfing, sea turtles), Dole Pineapple Plantation, Matsumoto Shave Ice (very famous), Leonards Bakery for their famous malasadas, Waikki Beach, Punch Bowl, Rainbow Drive In.  You will need a car to explore.  Rental cars are an issue right now, not enough.  Everything on the island i expensive.  A friend of mine who lived there said "eat where the locals eat."  Use your phone and google it.  If you go a time share route...many stop at a grocery store, Target, Costco to stock up on food and snacks and have a few meals in the their room.  There was another place to stay right next door to Aulani....I think it was associated with Hilton.  For me, personally, I wouldn't stay directly in Honolulu.  Keep in mind, traffic is bad there.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of good tips for you, most of which I agree with.  I've been twice, once on a cruise ship visiting several islands and once to fly between a couple of islands.  I have to say the cruise was the best because you didn't have to deal with packing and unpacking and the ship would sail on to the next island during the night.  That being said both trips were great, though I won't return only due to living on the east coast and it's becoming too  much to fly those long hours.  But importantly as @Just Bling mentioned about the pineapples........don't put fruit of any type in your luggage as they literally have "fruit sniffing" canines at the airport.  It was amazing to see those little guys at work, they were all beagles then.