Esteemed Contributor

Have You Used a Luggage Delivery Service?

I am planning a big trip in March and thinking that I do not want to schlep luggage through the airport.  I would take a carry-on bag with necessities, including a change of clothes, but I am checking out these services.

If you have used one, do you recommend them?  Which ones were great and which to avoid?  

I have medical reasons for thinking about this type of service, and, yes, I am also lazy.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Used a Luggage Delivery Service?

I haven't tried it, but I have friends who have and they LOVE it. Any time they travel out of the country, they use it. When they take cruises, they also use the service and the luggage is waiting in their room. Haven't been able to connect with them lately or I would ask them which one they use.

I believe they were charged around $80 for each large bag, but that was years ago when they told me about it. 

Evidently the service picks up the baggage from your home the day before you leave and it is sitting at your hotel upon your arrival. 

Although I don't find it to be inexpensive, I think it would be a great convenience not to have to fuss with the larger pieces of luggage.

I try to get everything I can in a carry on piece so I don't have to deal with the luggage. 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler  If you happen to remember what service they use, I will check the service out.  I also can usually travel with a carry-on, but I am not sure that this trip will enable me to do so.  Thanks for letting me know that your friends did use and like that type of service.

Honored Contributor

I haven't used a luggage service but did check into it at one time.  If cost is not a consideration, I think it's an excellent idea.  As the previous poster said, we try to get everything into a carry on size piece of luggage although we have been checking that as well for the same reasons as you stated, don't want to schlep the bags through the airport.  

Honored Contributor

Check out this site for some luggage delivery services. Hopes this gives you some direction.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-luggage-delivery-services-5072273

Honored Contributor

If you Google Luggage Delivery Service, there are a whole bunch of sites you can check out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler  Thanks for the link.  Definitely checking these services out.

Trusted Contributor

I love this forum! I never even knew such a service  existed. 😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

We checked a few companies and for 2 suitcases up to 50 pounds each, from our home in NJ to our hotel in Rome, it was almost $500, without tax and tip.  That was one way.

We thought it was a ridiculous price.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

We checked a few companies and for 2 suitcases up to 50 pounds each, from our home in NJ to our hotel in Rome, it was almost $500, without tax and tip.  That was one way.

We thought it was a ridiculous price.

@lulu1 

i have checked before also......for within the US. the pricing was insane at the time. i was in shock.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein