Honored Contributor

A co-worker just mentioned to me that she has a friend who has booked 2 cruises for next year with Costa Cruise Line and they do not charge a single supplement.  Has anyone ever gone on a cruise with this company?  Know anything about them?  Tried going on their website but couldn't see where their destinations are, what trips they offer, unless I signed up and opened an account.  Didn't want to do that.  So, if anyone knows anything, please let me know.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Costa Cruise Line?

[ Edited ]

My first cruise over 25+ years ago was on the MS Flavia one for the few ship Costa had in the US, times have changed and ships have grown in size, I had an amazing time the ship was ok by at that time it was not luxurious

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Occasional Contributor

cruisecritic dot com is a wonderful website for cruisers with message boards to ask questions, a feature that allows you to seek reviews of specific cabins.  You can even pick a Costa ship and search only for threads on that particular ship's itineraries, dining, entertainment etc.

Contributor

Costa is an Italian cruise ship line.  I agree, go to cruise critc for answers.  It has a wealth of information on all cruise lines.

Honored Contributor

vacationstogo.com is also a useful website to see itineraries.  Costa was the line that had a ship run aground off of Italy a few years ago.  I have taken many cruises but would not consider Costa.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone!  I had forgotten about cruisecritic dot com

Honored Contributor

Re: Costa Cruise Line?

[ Edited ]

It was the Costa Concordia that was shipwrecked off Isola del Giglio.  The captain got off the boat before his passengers.  Just me, but I'd think twice.

At one time I think they were part of Carnival.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL

DH & I have cruised 16 times with many different lines, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by 'they don't charge a single supplement"?

Are you saying the drinks are all included, no upcharges for the better restaurants etc?

If so, then that is quite a deal since Costa usually tends to be a less expensive cruise than Royal or Princess.

We took two cruises w/ Costa.  Reason was they were only charging $99 for kids to stay in our rooms.  I don't remember the names of the ships but they were 2 different ones.

Both ships, lovely.  Caribbean destinations...usual main islands...St. Martin, St. Thomas, Cozumel etc.  Entertainment pretty good.

One ship had TERRIBLE food, TERRIBLE service, HORRIBLE staff.

The other was okay and much better than the other but hardly top notch. 

Both were very 'international'.  Guests from ALL over.  Everything was repeated in 5 different languages.

I would rank Costa one step above Carnival which isn't saying too, too much, IMHO.  They are/used to be owned by the same company anyways.  I hope this doesn't sound too cruise snobby!  But if you were looking for a luxious, spa, pamper, elegant get-a-way...pick another cruise line.  If you want to just have fun and relax...Costa was just fine for that.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

Thanks for your response.  I've crossed Costa off my list of cruise lines.  By "single supplement" I meant they don't charge me extra for being a single traveler - most cruise lines do.  But its a moot point now anyway cuz I won't be going on a Costa cruise.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@RespectLife

Thanks for your response.  I've crossed Costa off my list of cruise lines.  By "single supplement" I meant they don't charge me extra for being a single traveler - most cruise lines do.  But its a moot point now anyway cuz I won't be going on a Costa cruise.

OH!  @JudyL

Thanks for the clarification on what that meant.  I didn't realize they did that.  My mom cruised several times w/ us and got her own inside cabin.  I never paid attention that she was getting upcharged for being a single traveler.

If I ever cruise single, I will pay closer attention to what I am being charged.  Thanks!