Respected Contributor

I had absolutely no plans to go anywhere this year.  So, when I received an e-mail from NCL about this 10 day cruise to Alaska, I got the urge to make reservations.  September 23 to October 3 - Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Prince Rupert, Vancouver.  

This sounded like a great itinerary to me.  What I was wondering, has anyone gone on this particular cruise before?  And what can I expect of the weather at that time?

Honored Contributor

Re: Booked my Cruise to Alaska

I'm jealous; I've been on two Alaskan cruises and would go back again in a heartbeat. 

Does your itinerary include Glacier Bay?  The Natal Park Svc only allows a limited number of ships to enter due to environmental concerns,  but IMO its one of the highpoints of the trip.  The glaciers are constantly "calving" and there's no sight or sound in the world to equal the thrill of seeing that. 

Secondly, if at all possible try to arrange a land trip at the end of your cruise to Denali Natl Park.  There is no other place like it and at no place else will you see the wildlife like you will in this place.  It's just breathtaking. 

We just had an Alaska cruise thread a couple days ago.  You might look for it for more info. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Oops, forgot the weather.  You can count on rain at least once on your trip so take a raincoat or poncho.  It will be warm except when on the deck of a moving ship.  Then you'll want layers.. A jacket and sweatshirt maybe, definitely some gloves and take binoculars. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Unfortunately, my cruise does not include Glacier Bay and Denali National Park, but there are other great places 

Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Prince Rupert, Vancouver.

I have not looked at any excursions because I decided to do that at the spur of the moment.  I am sure no matter where I go in Alaska, it will be beautiful and unique.  I expect it to be a bit like Norway.

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about cruises or Alaska.  Just wanted to say I'm envious and hope you have a great time.

Respected Contributor

Thanks @GCR18  I have wanted to go to Alaska for over 50 years.  Yesterday I was talking to a friend in the lobby of my building and we were discussing trips we want to take.  I told him I really wanted to go on a cruise all around South America starting with Argentina and ending with Chile.  Flight would be long from Philadelphia.  So I decided to go to Alaska.  Haven't been anywhere in nearly 6 years.  Decided to go while I was still alive.

Perhaps one day you will go too.

Honored Contributor

Hey you have the funds and good health, go for it.  That's what you work your whole life for.  🎊🎇💃🎆🎇🎉

Honored Contributor

My daughter and her family are actually on their way there in a day or so.  First they stopped off in Seattle to visit friends then on to the family cruise.

She'll be gone almost 2 & 1/2 weeks.  I know quite a few people who have taken various Alaska cruises.

I like cruises but Alaska one doesn't interest me.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My daughter and her family are actually on their way there in a day or so.  First they stopped off in Seattle to visit friends then on to the family cruise.

She'll be gone almost 2 & 1/2 weeks.  I know quite a few people who have taken various Alaska cruises.

I like cruises but Alaska one doesn't interest me.

@Annabellethecat66  Alaska is just magnificent.  If you'd see it, you'd change your mind.  I think every American ought to see it. 

Honored Contributor

Actually my niece was born in Alaska and is Eskimo (her words).  She goes back home about every 2 years.  She's my niece by marriage.  She's a very strong woman.

My nephew died at the age of 38 suddenly.  He had 8 children (all very  young) with her at the time.  She raised all 8 children (with the help of our family) but mostly on her own.  They are now all grown and wonderful people.

Several have a love of the land that most people never feel.  They know how to hunt, fish do just about everything outdoors.  They are amazing and I credit her and (she says) her family heritage and what she learned living in her native Alaska.

There are things here in this country I'd like to see.  I've been all over Europe and have no desire to go there, so that's out.

With this stupid knee I can't even get to Denver or Florida to visit my favorite people in the world (my daughters).