Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coronavirus Cruise Cancellations

[ Edited ]

Travel warning just issued by US State Department

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking. In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures. While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.

This is a fluid situation. CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships. Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special...

Honored Contributor

We are 49 days out.  I'm going to wait until the week of our cruise and if the CDC is still stating that people shouldn't cruise, I will cancel.

I'm not afraid so much of getting the virus but I do not want to be quarantined on a ship.   

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We are 49 days out.  I'm going to wait until the week of our cruise and if the CDC is still stating that people shouldn't cruise, I will cancel.

I'm not afraid so much of getting the virus but I do not want to be quarantined on a ship.   

I am 62 days out and I'm on the phone line right now, you can't even get a person on the lines.  I have been on hold about 15 minutes so far.

I'm cancelling now and I'm ask for a refund FIRST, if they decline then I'll take the credit. I don't expect to get a refund but if so I'll apply that money to other BILLS.

I don't mind going on a cruise but like YOU, I'm scared to be stuck in my cabin or can't get off the ship.

I'll post back what the outcome of my call.  Updates pending...

3/10/20  @ 12:31 pm EST

Let's see what time I get a rep on the line.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  Will be interesting to see how long the wait - I've seen some comments on cruise critic regarding 2/3 hour waits to talk to someone.

I've also seen comments about, depending on amount of days cancelled, people getting refunded whatever the normal policy is (cancel within 60 days, get 50% back, 30 days/25%, whatever) and getting the difference as a future cruise credit.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  Will be interesting to see how long the wait - I've seen some comments on cruise critic regarding 2/3 hour waits to talk to someone.

I've also seen comments about, depending on amount of days cancelled, people getting refunded whatever the normal policy is (cancel within 60 days, get 50% back, 30 days/25%, whatever) and getting the difference as a future cruise credit.

UPDATE ONE

I am still on hold...

1:45 PM   EST....

I'm at my desk at work so I can stay online for the rest of the day. 

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

Update

i finally got to a representative at around 2:15 pm

cruise cancelled

62 days out, cancellation fee applied to on board credit.

on new cruises only not a cruise i had already booked for March 2021

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  Which cruise line did you cancel.  I have a Royal Caribbean booked for late April and am thinking about canceling.  

Respected Contributor

We cancelled ours but we did have insurance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CoffeeNut wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  Which cruise line did you cancel.  I have a Royal Caribbean booked for late April and am thinking about canceling.  

My cruise was in Royal Caribbean

Just remember, the longer you wait to cancel the less cash refund you receive and the larger credit for future cruises.

I received travel insurance refund also

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

Did they take out insurance?  If so -- they would have to read through the policy to see exactly what it covers.

@judy0330   One of my very dear friends and her DH had one for late April and they had insurance, so they canceled and of course, got their refund because of the type insurance they had.