Honored Contributor

Africa trip for July 2020 postponed

Today, I made the decision to postpone my Africa trip scheduled for late July/early August.  It is now booked for July 2021.  As disappointed as I am to not be going this year, I felt it was for the best.  But I still feel really sad.  I had booked this trip in January 2019 so I've been waiting a long time to go.  It's still happening tho and thats the important thing.  Just today I'm going to feel a little sad about it.

Hope everyone here is doing well and staying safe.

Respected Contributor

Re: Africa trip for July 2020 postponed

I get that you're sad.  I would be, too. However, now you won't have to spend every day, until July this year, wondering if things will work out, or not.

You will no longer have the,  should I, or shouldn't I,  replaying in your head.  Don't know about you, but I hate that.  It's like an earworm.  Plus, it's a lot of extra stress for you to add to everything else we're all having to worry about now. 

The time will pass quickly and you will begin to enjoy the anticipation, once again, as you should, when life is back to normal. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is sad after all the planning and anticipation.   We had smaller travel plans we had to cancel - a family vacation to Disney World with daughters, their husbands and grandchildren.   Like you we will reschedule next year but had been preplanning and looking forward to it. 

Honored Contributor

We've had to cancel several travel plans and it is disappointing.  But nothing is worth risking your health for.

Honored Contributor

I cancelled all my trips just before my State's shutdown last week.  Rescheduled all for 2021. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I also am thinking to cancel my trip to Greece booked for May. I will reschedule it for next year. 

I am indeed very sad for not been able to go to my country this year.

Same like JudyL, I had booked my trip last year.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@JudyL  I think that's wise.  We don't know for sure how long this virus and it's aftershocks will go on.  Better to safe than sorry.  Africa will more than likely still be there.

Esteemed Contributor

Wise to cancel your trips. We cnx'd an Ireland trip for mid May. We're going to combine Scotland/Ireland next year and double our time away. Daughter has family trip planned for Maui - fall break. They haven't cancelled yet. Hopefully early October.....    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I’ve thought of your upcoming trip a few times these past few weeks and am sorry to hear that it’s being moved. But, like everyone said, you just don’t know what will happen in July/August and it’s best to act early rather than wait and not be able to go at all because the trips are full. Not sure if you saw the post saying where someone she knew flew all the way to Africa, right as they closed all of their borders and weren’t allowed in!

I have a July trip to France planned and told the operator that I would give until mid/late April to cancel (it’s a very small company.) She did tell me that I could move my deposit to 2021 and I hope my insurance could be transferred. I do have one nonrefundable hotel that I would probably lose (I don’t typically do nonrefundable, but unfortunately did for one night.) I am looking to replace it for a US trip, but obviously that isn’t 100% either.
Respected Contributor

I started following the virus story back in January when it was still only in China, as I had a July trip scheduled there. I cancelled the China trip in February and postponed to 2021, and then I had my April cruise cancelled.

This is just not the year for big travel itineraries as there is too much unknown.

Good health to all and keep dreaming about those fun future trips!