Honored Contributor

DC Cherry Blossom Peak Bloom Predicted For March 27-30

The National Mall National Parks Service confirmed they are predicting will be March 27-30, 2020

This comes slightly earlier than the last two years- of which both peak blooms were the first week of April.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/04/dc-cherry-blossom-peak-bloom-is-march-27-30/?fbclid=IwAR3E...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: DC Cherry Blossom Peak Bloom Predicted For March 27-30

I think that is about a week earlier than normal, many years ago we were in DC in early April and the cherry blossoms were amazing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

@I am still oxox 

I live in Southern Maryland, but worked in DC for 38 years.  

While I don't miss the commute, I do miss seeing the beauty of the City every day, including the cherry blossoms in full bloom.  

I spent my lunch hour running and would circle the Tidal Basin daily.  My running partner and I never missed a season for many years until she retired.

It was glorious!  On a windy day, after they had bloomed, it was like a snow storm.

Have not seen them in many years other than on TV.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

i have several cherry blossom trees on my property and they are just so beautiful. you are right, even when the leaves blow and fall it looks like winter in spring. will have to take a photo and post it when they are in full bloom.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I was in DC last year for the cherry blossoms. It's just gorgeous! There of course is large crowds at that time due to the bloom but if you go out earlier or later in the day, can miss the largest crowds and enjoy the sites more. We timed our trip so we could also do the White House gardens tour - that was really interesting. I would highly recommend it if you're in DC while it's going on. They give away free tickets to it. 

Honored Contributor

When my son was in grade school, we decided to take him to Washington DC. We figured we would go at "Cherry Blossom" time. So we reserved a hotel room right off of the mall.

Well, it poured the night we arrived. So the next morning we took my son out to see the cherry blossoms - on the ground. The sidewalks and ground was just covered in pink petals. I don't think there were any petals left on the trees.

We waited a few years and tried again. And as luck would have it we missed the peak but at least saw the petals on the trees.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@sunshine45 

@I am still oxox 

I live in Southern Maryland, but worked in DC for 38 years.  

@Witchy Woman   I worked in Crystal CIty for 25 years - and our command was on the access road to the right of Route 1 in Arlington just at the point it crossed the 14h St Bridge.  You could see the cherry trees from the windows of our higher floors but carpool often would take 1/2 days leave and drive over and if we could find a place to park get out and walk around the tidal basin and then find a restaurant and have lunch and head home before the rush hour.  

I missed it once I retired and ours was the command that was transferred to Pax River so I know S. MD.   A friend and I rented a condo in Wildwood - and we both loved to go out to eat during the week (it's been a long time ago but I remember the name Clark's Landing was one of the places we'd go).  

Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl 

Yes, Clarke's Landing was a favorite during the summer.  It is now Stoney's at Clarke's Landing -- taken over by the same Stoney's that is in Solomons Island.  We haven't been there in years.

Wildwood is still a nice area, but very busy and built up.  I pass there often when going to California, MD, to shop. Because of Pax River and all the transfers, that area built up to the point people now complain about the traffic.

Before all the madness, I used to drive to that area about once a month.  

While not native to this area, it has been my home for over 30 years.  It's a little quirky, but I love the proximity to the Bay and several rivers.  We used to jet ski on the Patuxent and Wicomico.  Beautiful area with friendly folks.  But, that description is something most would give their homes.  

To me, home is where your heart is!

I worked at 19th & E and on the holidays, we would often drive to Crystal City for lunch out.  Downtown was nice, but you had to go up to K Street to find a decent place to eat.  Then, it was just a madhouse.  So, we would venture out into, VA!

The cherry blossoms were always the high point of Spring for us since they were walking/running distance from my building.  Every day, we would watch them emerge as it became ever more crowded.  You could hardly weave through the people at full blossom.

I'm sure you saw they had to close off the roads as too many folks were trying to get down to see them.

I grew up in a tiny town, so coming to DC and working there for many years was really a high point in my life. 

Hope you are happy where you are!