Esteemed Contributor

We visited this beautiful castle several years back.  It surely is a “must see” if you travel to this area.  It’s a good thing to visit such places when you are younger and in good shape.  These buildings have no elevators, and I seem to remember climbing six floors up.  It was worth it.

From there we traveled to the German alps, then onto Austria.

The scenery was lovely and the people very friendly.

I have a large rendering of this castle in my craft and reading 

room.  It makes me happy.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I found some pictures online which were mostly very ostentatious, as castles tend to be, bedrooms.  I'd love to visit as the area must be gorgeous.

@Kachina624 

The area is gorgeous near the Black Forest. We were in Ulm about an hour away among other German cities, one of the most breathtaking places / country ever. 

Respected Contributor

I have visited this lovely castle several times, as well as several of the other castles built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria and his family, including Linderhof, with the Peacock throne (see photo below). It is a bit of a walk to get up to Neuschwanstein, and then stroll through the property and the rooms. Wikipedia has many photos of the inside.

The most interesting thing is that these schloss are not really that old--they were all built in Victorian times, and the decor used was based on historic time periods, and inspired by operas.

I love castles, palaces, historic homes, monasteries, etc., and I always try to visit those special architectural creations whenever I travel.  Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, etc, all have fantastic castles to visit. I have many, many favorites, including El Alcazar of Segovia, Spain (ancient--started on Roman ruins), the glorious Fontainebleau and Versailles of France, Warwick castle in England (also ancient), Ashford Castle in Ireland (hotel), etc. 

It is also possible to stay in many of these historic places, as they have either been converted to hotels or are available to rent.  Even Downton Abbey's Highclere Castle in England offers tours, high tea, etc.  

One of my dreams is to travel to India and stay in the Majarajas' palaces.

If you want to do something similar in the USA, I recommend the Historic Hotels of the  National Trust for Historic Preservation.  They have a website that shows all of their hotels. 

I am so happy that these wonderful buildings around the world have been preserved, and are available for all to visit and enjoy!!

Picture: Moorish Kiosk, Peacock Throne

Respected Contributor

King Ludwig was mad but his castles have proven great tourist attractions for tourists in Germany.  Its a lovely place to visit.  There is a bridge behind the castle that stretches across a gorge (?) that gives a great view.  Both the terrain and the height of the site make one wonder how this could have been built so long ago!  

Yes, Walt Disney designed his famous castle after Neuschwanstein.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I found some pictures online which were mostly very ostentatious, as castles tend to be, bedrooms.  I'd love to visit as the area must be gorgeous.

@Kachina624 

The area is gorgeous near the Black Forest. We were in Ulm about an hour away among other German cities, one of the most breathtaking places / country ever. 

@rockygems123  we visited Ulm in 2018. The Ulm Muenster cathedral was breathtaking. i could wander in there for hours it is so vast. My great grandfather was originally from Ulm.  sadly never met him. as a wandered in there i wondered if he had ever attended the church. 

Tallest Cathedral in the World:

Ulm Minster - Wikipedia

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   we went there too to the castle but i could not take the tour. i guess i missed the memo about the climbing the stairs.  it was before i knew i needed a hip replacement (2018).  i was using a Rollator to get around. i got a couple decent shots from the bridge:

we were staying about an hour away and on the way back to our Inn DH decided to follow the GPS shortcut.  started out fine with paved road and turned into a rollercoaster of winding dirt roads dodging all sorts of barnyard animals.  a miracle we didnt crash into a barn...

neuschwan2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline   Sounds like you had quite an adventure.  That's how you really get to see a country.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We stopped there once on a drive to Garmisch for Christmas.  Did not go in, but it was beautiful in the snow.