Honored Contributor

Since I was a young child, I have wanted to visit Cape Cod.  Next year, if I do any travelling, I have decided to keep it stateside so today was thinking about Cape Cod.  

Have you been?  Where do you like to go?  Favorite spots?  Recommendations for places to visit/stay?  Best time to go?  Is it easy to get to Cape Cod from the Boston airport?  Do I need to rent a car or is it possible to do a car service?  Would like to stay somewhere that wouldn't necessarily require me to have a car - walk to the market, beach, shops, restaurants, etc.  Is that possible?

Right now I'm just in the thinking about it stage but thought I'd put it out there and see what I can find out.  I know I'd have to fly into Boston.  I'd be travelling alone so want to stay somewhere near shops/restaurants but wouldn't mind renting an apartment or something like that for a week.  

I would love to go in the summer but am not a crowd person so maybe end of August, beginning of Sept would be better?

Anyway, you can see all the thoughts/questions that was swirling around in my brain.  Will be doing research on Google too but like to have input from people who have actually been there.

Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Since I was a young child, I have wanted to visit Cape Cod.  Next year, if I do any travelling, I have decided to keep it stateside so today was thinking about Cape Cod.  

Have you been?  Where do you like to go?  Favorite spots?  Recommendations for places to visit/stay?  Best time to go?  Is it easy to get to Cape Cod from the Boston airport?  Do I need to rent a car or is it possible to do a car service?  Would like to stay somewhere that wouldn't necessarily require me to have a car - walk to the market, beach, shops, restaurants, etc.  Is that possible?

Right now I'm just in the thinking about it stage but thought I'd put it out there and see what I can find out.  I know I'd have to fly into Boston.  I'd be travelling alone so want to stay somewhere near shops/restaurants but wouldn't mind renting an apartment or something like that for a week.  

I would love to go in the summer but am not a crowd person so maybe end of August, beginning of Sept would be better?

Anyway, you can see all the thoughts/questions that was swirling around in my brain.  Will be doing research on Google too but like to have input from people who have actually been there.

Thanks for your help!

Cape Cod is wonderful, yes you need a car to get from Boston and you also need a car to get around the cape.

I have been to Cape Cod twice once when I was in HS with my parents and I loved it and once as a married woman.

September might be better since it is less crowded, but it might get really chilly at night.

The last time we were there we stayed two nights at a B and B in Chatham which is mid cape from there we went to Proviencetown and Hyannis.

We also stayed two nights in Barnstable, it rained one of the days so we did some outlet shopping.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

There are mill outlets to purchase sweaters and other knits. Check those out for lower  prices.

East Dennis was where my familywent each summer. It was a slice of heaven.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL I think of Cape Cod based upon the song Old Cape Cod. It just makes me want to go there. I hope you do that and report back. Sounds like a nice place to go to.

Super Contributor

I was just in Cape Cod last month! I was there the week before Memorial Day. 

It was too cold to swim but there is still plenty to do. Shopping, mini golf, state bird parks (MA Audubon), walking along the beach.

The food I stuff my face with is always delicious. I usually have at least 2 or 3 different lobster rolls, all from different places. Cape Cod Creamery ice cream is worth every bite and the homemade cone I get with it. 

I had my own car (drove to MA from NY/NJ area), but getting around was pretty easy. In my experience, I've needed a car.

I suspect weekends from now until Labor Day will be pretty busy. Maybe plan a trip Monday-Thursday or Friday?

I hope to go again, maybe late August/early September, as I am also not big on crowds.

Honored Contributor

@meginthemaking wrote:

It was too cold to swim but there is still plenty to do. Shopping, mini golf, state bird parks (MA Audubon), walking along the beach.

The food I stuff my face with is always delicious. I usually have at least 2 or 3 different lobster rolls, all from different places. Cape Cod Creamery ice cream is worth every bite and the homemade cone I get with it. 

I had my own car (drove to MA from NY/NJ area), but getting around was pretty easy. In my experience, I've needed a car.

I suspect weekends from now until Labor Day will be pretty busy. Maybe plan a trip Monday-Thursday or Friday?

I hope to go again, maybe late August/early September, as I am also not big on crowds.

What no Chowda lol 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have been to different areas of Cape Cod several time.  Cape Cod is not a city, it is a reagion in MA.  It is made up of several cities and sea shore areas.

You need a car to get around.  Many people take a day trip or spend several days in Nantucucket or Martha Vineyard... you will need to take a ferry to those islands. 

There are many areas to visit and many things to do.  I would suggest that you read about the places there and decide what you want to do beforehand.

It's cooler there in the summertime, compared to the surrounding areas.  The ocean water is always too cold for me.  We were there in September twice and wore winter coats when the sun went down.  Be prepared for crowds in the summertime.

Esteemed Contributor

Years back my husband and i planned a trip to Cape Cod but had to cancel...............we never got to reschedule to go there.....but it is one of the places i would like to go.............

Enjoy your trip!!  I am sure it is lovely there!

Honored Contributor

@meginthemaking wrote:

We were there July 4 week a few years ago and Proviencetown was packed and I think it was a Tuesday

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL ~ I was on the Cape about ten years ago.  My then boyfriend & I went on a trip to Nantucket and had to wait on the Cape for the next ferry.  It was so charming ~ I remember we stopped for lunch at this wonderful place ~ I think it was called the Black Dog or something like that (sorry, it was so long ago).  That was the absolute best clam chowder I have EVER eaten.  I remember craving that chowder once we got home but Chicago isn't exactly known for it's clam chowder, lol!