Honored Contributor

@Julie928 @I am still oxox @kelsey17 @Carmie @todaysrx

Thank you everyone!  I'm going to write down the names of towns  and info given - esp. the info about the ice cream!

Going to do research on places to go, things to do, etc., and see if it'll be possible for me to do this.  Think I will shoot for end of August, beginning of Sept. in 2018 as that time of year is usually when I like to travel.

Again, thank you all and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

Esteemed Contributor

The Fall in New England is lovely.  Wait until school is back in.  LM

Honored Contributor

I've been twice.  Once as a child for a family vacation to the area and once in my 20s (1980s) with my roommate at the time as part of a trip to New England.

It's beautiful and so much to do.  If I were to go back, I'd want to go when everything is still open but not a busy holiday weekend.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

In the 80's we lived in the area and loved every minute.  Yes, you definitely need a car.

The summer months are very crowded.  I cannot make any suggestions for inns, restaurants, etc. because my information would be dated.  September would be an ideal time to visit.

Frequent Contributor

I live 20 minutes from the Cape. Getting there on a summer weekend is a nightmare as everyone journeys to the Cape for the weekends. Getting off the Cape on a Sunday is a nightmare with hours in traffic. the Cape is a beautiful place to visit and September is the best time to go. I favor the outer Cape which is more "rural'. I spent summers on the Cape as a kid when things were less crowded. Route 3 from Boston is very heavily traveled. I hate to be so negative but now in my 80's, I remember earlier trips. As i mentioned, September is the best time to go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Swimming is not the same as there are sharks everywhere and the beaches have warning signs up. Jaws is here.

Contributor

Hyannis is  a local town and main street is walkable with shops, restaurants and JFK mueseum.  We stay at the Hyannis Inn on Main Street , they have a nice bar attached to it.  Its a nice Motel. Not cheap though.You can walk one end of Hyannis to the other on Main Street. . We love the Cape.  We love to see the concerts at the Melody Tent. We are going to see Tower of Power there in August.  Go on a whale watch either out of  Barnstable (near Hyannis) or Provincetown (PTown) as it is called.  Eat Lobster . Try everyones clam choda!  Go to the Wellefleet Drive in for a double feature. Go miniature golfing. Find a beach to sit on.  Go to the National Seashore.  Do the Duck moblile tour in Hyannis. I am sure others will chime in here.  The cape is very popular!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL I live here year round, there's no other place that I'd rather be. There is train service from Boston but only between Memorial Day and Labor Day that runs weekend days only. The train also has a bike car for riders to store them while traveling. The fare is not too expensive either, it runs from South Station in Boston to Hyannis.

The two bus lines that come to the Cape are Peter Pan and Plymouth and Brocton that run all day long. The Cape also has their own public transportation system that travels the entire Cape, from Bourne to Provincetown. 

I would suggest late Spring or late summer to come, once regular vacations are over and schools are back in session. During the summer months it can be a headache driving the Cape. 

I hope you come, you're gonna love it here. Smiley Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

You definitely need a car to get around.  I recommend the areas of Eastham, Truro, Provincetown etc.  The open ocean on the national seashore is beautiful.   Go in September whenthe kids have returned to school.  Side trips would incldue visits to Wellfleet, Orleans and Chatham for shopping.  By the way, there are a few inns in Chatham where you can park your car and walk to restaurants, for breakfast, shopping, etc.

Super Contributor

We rented a house on the Cape for a month for a  couple of years before "graduating" to Martha'Vineyard. While on the Cape we rented a house in Falmouth and took the ferry in Woods Hole to the vineyard and Nantucket. We always spent a couple of days in Boston too.These days it is very touristy in the summers and traffic is a bear. I still have a couple of framed prints in my home from all those years ago! Great family times! Be sure to have a lobster roll or two or ten! You might also consider going in the opposite direction to Cape ann. Many cute towns along the way...Salem is a must... house of the seven gables Is cool.  also loved Gloucester. Beautiful region of the US...have fun! You brought back wonderful memories!

Respected Contributor

I live 30 minutes from the Cape and the Heritage Museum in Sandwich is a nice place to visit. It has beautiful Hydrangea gardens which are soo beautiful!! This is located in Sandwich.