Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever been dropped as a customer for cancelling too many items?

If they had enough to go around for each customer, perhaps you could wait to order an item without fear that it would sell out. There are times that an item sells out before you even have a chance to consider it.

Honored Contributor

No, I've only canceled one order because I've changed my mind.

Any other time I've canceled an order (usually on Amazon), it was because I realized I had entered the wrong delivery address or forgot to include something and I re-ordered immediately.

Why order if you're not sure? That sounds like a bad habit. I assume that once I click submit, I'm locked in until delivery, so I don't wind up ordering things I don't want.

Regular Contributor

WOW, enlightening post, I, too, would like to know what constitutes too much. I will order online as well and often wait for customer ratings to make a final decision. Because of the very nature of this type of shopping I would think QVC and similar venues would expect more returns than B&M stores. You can only tell so much until you actually receive the item. For one thing I have ordered a pair of D&C pants that I really liked and ordered them in another color only to have the second pair not fit the same. What about the hosts always pushing 30 days no questions asked etc...? Does it really cost the company that much? It makes me think twice now. Maybe this is sour grapes but the hosts seem to be making fabulous salaries so it can't cost that much to cancel. When I think of the salaries that salespeople make in B&M stores (my mother was in retail and worked long and hard for lousy money) in comparison to the hosts I would rather support the store clerks. I know, I know QVC is a business that's how business is. I don't see the shows as entertainment. I only watch the shows that are about products I may be interested in. I will shop less on QVC now, I have been disappointed lately with QVC for many reasons and to be honest find the hosts annoying (I know that's my problem!).

Trusted Contributor

I have purchased a lot from QVC. I return very little but that is because I cancel my orders (usually right away) a lot. I don't cancel if something sold-out on the air but I will cancel if there is still inventory on something - this way I have not prevented someone from ordering it. I received the letter about cancelations once and that was right after I called customer service to ask about something I ordered. I suspect they saw a lot of cancellations. After receiving the letter I contacted customer service and told them off. I suggested they calculate what I had spent with QVC over the past year then told them that I would be happy to give ALL of my business to the high end department stores where I do 90% of my shopping. I warned them if I received something like that again from them, I would completely stop doing business with them. I also reminded them that the business model for TV shopping has a high level of cancellations and returns and it was bad enough that they rip us off with S&H. No one was going to dictate to me how often I cancel something. I told them to make sure they put this in my file as I wasn't going to tolerate it again. Never received another letter from them and I still cancel whenever I change my mind, and I do a lot, but, as I stated above, I won't cancel if its something that is almost sold out or sold out on the air.

Honored Contributor

This venue exacerbates or maybe even creates an impulsive habit. It's so easy to sit there and watch and just order away.

QVC will do what it needs to do get your business, including enabling that impulse and compulsion.

It's up to the customers do become aware of any shopping "problems" they're developing.

QVC is not breaching any law by advertising its 30-day, no-questions-asked return policy and also trying to rein in excessive returns. I have never once heard that anyone was told that they could not return an item within that time frame. The issue of excessive returns is separate and apart from that guarantee.

I've never been a very active shopper here, but as for ordering and cancelling, I used to do that quite often because I would want to make sure that an item didn't sell out but then would check the reviews and decide against it.

I'd say that my relatively short account history is filled more with cancellations than anything else. Yet I've never received any warning. So I have to imagine that if a customer does receive a warning about cancellations, it is due to an extreme situation.

The last thing any business wants is to irritate or anger its customers, so I doubt very much that QVC sends out advisory letters for too many returns or too many cancellations at the drop of a hat. They must have determined that the customer is beginning to be a liability and that a recommendation to stop such activity is in order.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I've shopped with QVC probably for about 18 years and I can count my returns on one hand. I guess I must be a good shopper, in that I'm able to recognize items that will or will not work for me. I do succumb to an impulse purchase occasionally, but once I get it home, I usually love it more than I thought I would, so I keep it. I never, ever order anything with the intent to just check it out to see what it looks like in person, nor do I order several sizes and plan to send some back. If I do place an order, then I accept the responsibility and keep it.

I would be horrified if I was ever thought of as a liability. I wouldn't want to be partially responsible for raising the prices for everyone else.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

QVCs 30-day return policy was not meant to support people that can't control their shopping habits. Switch places ... would you want someone costing you more money due to their bad shopping habits?

Honored Contributor

You're better off !! Find what you THINK you want online and you'll prob not pay taxes or shipping. Then shop locally. Forget them!!!. I did several years ago and can find most everything they show elsewhere. I hardly watch anymore if at all.

Valued Contributor

I've said this so many times on these kinds of threads that I must sound like a broken record but the "you can return anything within 30 days" policy does not mean "you can return everything within 30 days". The same company that will allow you to return items can reserve the right to tell you when you're returning too many items. Plain and simple. QVC is not in the business of therapy for impulsive or compulsive shoppers, they're in the business of profit and if your particular cancel/return habits are cutting into their profit they have every right to ask you to think twice before you order or even cancel your membership.

I realize some of the hosts hype the item to the point where you think "it's now or never, I better get this while I can" but it's up to you to resist the temptation.

Maria

Trusted Contributor

On 5/28/2014 violann said: When "Lunchtime Specials" started, there was very little difference between the "special" cost and the everyday "clearance" cost of items, so the grab-reflect-cancel shoppers didn't have too much impact on other buyers. Now, people who are trying to buy an item that is a LTS may find that they are shut out of purchasing when the LTS price is sold out, only to find that the item reappears at a discouragingly higher price. Everybody in this scenario loses, and it is not a flaw that can be blamed on QVC.

Someone else mentioned LTS's here, too, so I wanted to share a tip. First, I do see the point if people order and cancel LTS's then the rest of us are missing out. The item does sometimes pop in the next day at the clearance price, which is higher than the LTS price.

Here is my tip: I have sometimes had something in my cart from LTS and then didn't act upon it. Of course, within an hour your cart is empty. Sometimes if you keep reloading, the item(s) reappear. A couple of times I was disappointed that I missed out. I checked the next day and the item was still available. This often happens as others canceled their order. I called customer service and they honored the LTS price with no problem!