Honored Contributor

"MURDER, SHE SAID" MARGARET RUTHERFORD SUNDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Murder, She Said".  Margaret Rutherford, Arthur Kennedy, Muriel Pavlow, Stringer Davis, James Robertson Justice, Joan Hickson

v1.bjsyMTQ0NTg5O2o7MTgzODQ7MTIwMDsyMzExOzEzMDA.jpeg

I have not seen either of these, but I like Agatha Christie, and LOVE Margaret Rutherford in anything, and here she is, for many, the definitive "Miss Marple".  Miss Marple sees a young woman being strangled on a passing train, and must worm her way onto the estate where she thinks the body has been hidden.

Bonus-- This film contains the marvelous Joan Hickson, who would later star herself in an excellent BBC series of "Miss Marple".

Followed by:

3:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Murder Most Foul".  Margaret Rutherford, Ron Moody, Megs Jenkins, Francesca Annis, Stringer Davis

Murder mystery with a theatrical backdrop.  Stringer Davis appears again-- he was Margaret Rutherford's hubby in real life.

This is a very promising double feature that I plan to tape and savor on a rainy afternoon...

Honored Contributor

Re: "MURDER, SHE SAID" MARGARET RUTHERFORD SUNDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

I love Margaret Rutherford!

I see now I am going to have to snail mail TCM headquarters regarding showing films in the wee hrs of the a.m. w/o repeating them during "normal" viewing hours.

My VCR has been getting a workout since January 2020.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Mz iMac , and I think there are at least two other Margaret Rutherford "Miss Marples"?   TCM should have run them all together, AND in prime time!

Honored Contributor

Well, I watched a small portion of  "Murder Most Foul" and fell asleep. So both movies are on Watch TCM. So I will catch them some other time.

Honored Contributor

TCM ran a marathon of her Miss Marple movies late one night. I can’t remember exactly when, but it was in the last year or two. I used my DVR to record them all. Love a good mystery and loved watching these movies. 

Respected Contributor

I love Margaret Rutherford and enjoy watching her husband in real life, playing her cohort.  I DVR  al her Miss Marple movies and enjoy watching them over and over again.

Honored Contributor

Got to watch both recorded movies;  they were charming, light versions, with Margaret Rutherford bringing her huge talent to the role.

I do love the BBC "Miss Marple" with Joan Hickson, but that iss a darker, more serious treatment. 

Wow, Margaret Rutherford had such tragedy at the beginning of her life.  Her father, an English journalist, was mentally unbalanced and murdered her grandfather (his own father).  Her mother committed suicide by hanging while pregnant with another child.

Luckily, Margaret had an aunt who raised her, whom she loved.  She was haunted by her parents' tragedies and was always worried about her own depression.  She had an apparently happy marriage with actor Stringer Davis, who adored her talent and thought her a beauty. 

Incredible history for a wonderful actress who surmounted great obstacles.