Honored Contributor

"HUMORESQUE" JOAN CRAWFORD JOHN GARFIELD SUNDAY 7:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

mv5bmja3njcxmta0ml5bml5banbnxkftztcwmzmyodmynw4040__v1_.jpg

Sunday, 7:45 a.m. Eastern--  "Humoresque"   John Garfield, Joan Crawford, Oscar Levant, J. Carroll Naish, Craig Stevens, Tom D'Andrea, Peggy Knudsen, Paul Cavanagh

Luxuriantly sudsy noir.   Garfield brings his palpable intensity as a brilliant, struggling musician;  Joan has rarely been more glamorous, as his wealthy, very married, but amorous patron.

All this, and the elfin, wise guy humor of Oscar Levant!

TCM is showing this at a ludicrous hour of the morning, but it is so well worth recording....   

Honored Contributor

Re: "HUMORESQUE" JOAN CRAWFORD JOHN GARFIELD SUNDAY 7:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  Thanks for the heads up!  One of my favorite JC movies.  You're are correct as usual.  JC has never "rarely been more glamorous" than in this movie.  And the outfits she wore. 

Guess who played John Garfield as a little boy?

humoresque-1946-6.jpg

HINT:  He was also one of the kids in "Our Gang/The Little Rascals."

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at Sat, Feb 12, 2022-11.13.40 PM.png

I found this info too funny.......

John Garfield's violin "performances" were actually dubbed by acclaimed violinist Isaac Stern. A trained violinists arm was passed through Grafield's coat sleeve so the fingering would look correct, whilst at the same time, another violinist crouched behind Garfield took care of the bow work. This very cramped method of movie trickery, made for such an authentic look, that Garfield was asked to play the violin time and time again, long after the film was made.

837514213.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac,  little Robert Blake?   I always get a slight shiver when I see him early in his career.   Physically, he's a very plausible choice for the young Garfield.

Wow, I knew Isaac Stern had dubbed the music, but not about that crouching-behind-Garfield, and 'bowing' and fingering by other violinists!  Poor guy, it's a wonder he could keep his concentration!  I remember his facial expressions were very expressive.

It was all worth it though--  as you say, he couldn't have looked more authentic!   

Esteemed Contributor

Joan was so glamorous and feminine with this hairstyle; too bad she didn't maintain it slightly longer.  Her 1950s look became somewhat harsh and mannish, in my opinion, although it may have suited those roles.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Mz iMac,  little Robert Blake?  

@Oznell  BINGO!

He was known as "Bobby" Blake back then.  Don't know when he became "Robert.

Honored Contributor

A shame this wasn't scheduled in prime time or at least a bit later in the day.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I happened to catch the last half of this this morning.  I wish I would have seen the beginning with Robert Blake, too.  I will say it is the most beautiful I have ever seen Joan Crawford - except for  one of @SeaMaiden 's avatars!  One of my grandmothers could do her hair that way. 

And I loved the evening gowns, ankle strap shoes, and fur coat.  I have a picture of my other grandmother in a similar coat.  Most of my love for these old movies is my love and appreciation for the fashions. 

The story lines are rather "meh", in my opinion, but the rest is so dramatic and artistic!  The glamorization of the smoking and drinking, the way the homes, furniture, drapes, and cars looked.  The ring tone of the phone.  The grocery store scene.  All historical and very nostalgic.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker Yes, A81B89E1-6A69-49DD-B1BF-872BEA69FA25.jpeg Joan Crawford really was lovely in her youth....and aging was not her friend. With the garish dark over emphasis brows as she aged and her hair style, she did not look pretty in her later years.

C6166A62-D928-4D0A-B86A-377ADBFFDBB3.jpeg 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker  "Most of my love for these old movies is my love and appreciation for the fashions."

Just think what those *black & white* fashions would have looked like in color!