Honored Contributor

Re: question on Undercover Boss

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on the type of business, and where the corporate offices are located.  I'm not sure all the employees in a restaurant, for instance, have ever seen their CEO up close and would immediately recognize them dressed casually, with different hair color, etc.   You just don't always recognize people immediately when in completely different surroundings.

A while back I was seated in a nice restaurant and kept noticing a man, nicely dressed,  several tables away.   Kept wondering "where the heck do I know this guy from?".    

It took me more than an hour to realize that  he's one of my pharmacists!  LOL   Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the show alot when it first started.  But, lately the episodes don't seem to be as interesting, so have not been seriously watching!!  I do not think there was acting, but definitely editing of the shows.

There are some CEO's who really cannot do the job of their staff.  Everyone I know - including my father - has said that working the jobs from the bottom rung to the top rung makes for the best CEO of that company!!  I agree!!

When I was working, my CEO definitely could not have done my job!  She would have no idea how to go about it. And she was very unique in looks and language.  There is no way she could have gotten away with it!!  I have actually thought that it would have been a good idea for someone to go "undercover" at my company.  There were weird things going on in some departments....

Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

I watched the show alot when it first started.  But, lately the episodes don't seem to be as interesting, so have not been seriously watching!!  I do not think there was acting, but definitely editing of the shows.

There are some CEO's who really cannot do the job of their staff.  Everyone I know - including my father - has said that working the jobs from the bottom rung to the top rung makes for the best CEO of that company!!  I agree!!

When I was working, my CEO definitely could not have done my job!  She would have no idea how to go about it. And she was very unique in looks and language.  There is no way she could have gotten away with it!!  I have actually thought that it would have been a good idea for someone to go "undercover" at my company.  There were weird things going on in some departments....

@corita

It's a good theory, but it also depends on the type of company, and what they do.   Generally speaking, the purpose of both the President and the CEO are to run the business efficiently and make decisions for its future with a big picture or long range plan mindset.   A CEO hired by an already established company won't have the time to learn everyone's job .... and that's not why they were hired.

Operations management are more focused on the day to day running of the company.  However, I do think any CEO can benefit from being in the trenches, seeing what the troops deal with.   They are in a position to make decisions for changes without going through umpteen levels of management, depending on how large the company is and the organizational structure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@corita wrote:

@corita

It's a good theory, but it also depends on the type of company, and what they do.   Generally speaking, the purpose of both the President and the CEO are to run the business efficiently and make decisions for its future with a big picture or long range plan mindset.   A CEO hired by an already established company won't have the time to learn everyone's job .... and that's not why they were hired.

Operations management are more focused on the day to day running of the company.  However, I do think any CEO can benefit from being in the trenches, seeing what the troops deal with.   They are in a position to make decisions for changes without going through umpteen levels of management, depending on how large the company is and the organizational structure.

-------------

Yes...of course, it depends on the company and what "they" do!!

My father was an old fashioned, hard working man who worked his way up in an advertising company to become an owner!!  But if possible....many CEO's would get a better understanding of what their staff go thru in their job!! I don't think it happens much anymore.... Smiley Happy