Esteemed Contributor

Re: dancing with the stars....SPORTS EDITION spring 2018

I missed the show so I watched most of the dances on YouTube. I thought Adam was great and I doubt he will ever anything less than excellent. People with that kind of drive intrigue me--it's so amazing to watch.

Mirai's dance was beautiful and how amazing was her light up dress? So pretty!

I like the guy that dances with the pretty redhead, I think they are Sharna and Josh.

Tonya also impressed me for the 2nd week in a row. She was so graceful last week, and this week she did a great job with her fun quickstep. How could dancing to Redneck Woman be anything less than a good time? Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Although Mirai dances well there is just something about her personality that turns me off.....she seems immature (compare her to fellow figure skater Adam with a rough schedule), and she seemed to pout not this week, but the week before because she didnt get a good score from ONE judge!....Most of the competitors react by listening to the judges advice or being more determined to improve....I didnt see that from her, she had more of an "entitled" attitude......

I know this is dancing and not figure skating but trust me, if you think Mirai seems immature you should see our National Champion, Bradie Tennell.  Personally I think Mirai is exhausted.

A little about her for those who don't follow Figure Skating:

Mirai has paid her dues and come through injuries and being eclipsed by others but always battling back.  She was in the 2010 Olympics, not chosen for 2014, and then in 2018 Olympics not only did she medal Bronze in the team event with Adam and others, but in the individuals she becams the first American woman ever to land a triple axel jump.  She has worked very, very hard.

I wonder if what you're reading as entitltment or unlikeability is more down to her exhaustion?   They go right from the Olympics to the Worlds to the Stars on Ice Tour.  She and Adam are both on the same tour with the same schedue.  He has an amazing personality so anyone next to him seems flat.  Ask Johnny Weir.  He's intensely jealous of Adam.

@LoriLori @Spurt Tonya was the first American woman. 

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/21609322/tonya-harding-seven-other-women-skaters-successfu...

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't click on the link but I think Tonya was the first American woman to land the triple axel in competition, but it was Mirai who was the first American woman to land the jump at the Olympics.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Although Mirai dances well there is just something about her personality that turns me off.....she seems immature (compare her to fellow figure skater Adam with a rough schedule), and she seemed to pout not this week, but the week before because she didnt get a good score from ONE judge!....Most of the competitors react by listening to the judges advice or being more determined to improve....I didnt see that from her, she had more of an "entitled" attitude......

I know this is dancing and not figure skating but trust me, if you think Mirai seems immature you should see our National Champion, Bradie Tennell.  Personally I think Mirai is exhausted.

A little about her for those who don't follow Figure Skating:

Mirai has paid her dues and come through injuries and being eclipsed by others but always battling back.  She was in the 2010 Olympics, not chosen for 2014, and then in 2018 Olympics not only did she medal Bronze in the team event with Adam and others, but in the individuals she becams the first American woman ever to land a triple axel jump.  She has worked very, very hard.

I wonder if what you're reading as entitltment or unlikeability is more down to her exhaustion?   They go right from the Olympics to the Worlds to the Stars on Ice Tour.  She and Adam are both on the same tour with the same schedue.  He has an amazing personality so anyone next to him seems flat.  Ask Johnny Weir.  He's intensely jealous of Adam.

@LoriLori @Spurt Tonya was the first American woman. 

http://www.espn.com/espnw/culture/article/21609322/tonya-harding-seven-other-women-skaters-successfu...

@Ibby114, that's what I said. But I can see how the way I said it -- team event then in the individuals she became blah blah -- I can see how it was confusing.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 @LoriLori @SusieQ_2 @Ibby114 @Annabellethecat66

So did anyone watch what did you all think?????  Some surprising results!!!.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched and I wasn't too surprised about Jennie, I figured she would go, I did really like her-Wow is she tall! I was kind of suprised about Chris being booted and Tonya left in.

I wasn't too surprised about Mirai being booted because even though she was super graceful and very good, I don't feel like she connected with the audience like some of the others...

I think Adam will win it......Next week the Finale is only an hour long-Wow!!!!They must each do 2 dances and that's it then......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a little surprised that it was Tonya instead of Chris or Mirai but not terribly.  I wanted Adam and Josh to be in the finale.  I didn't care a lot about who the third one would be.  I thought Mirai was great, but she thought so, too, which didn't make her that appealing.  I think Adam will win.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I thought Mirai was very good (so did she IMO!) but I was not all that surprised when she was not voted into the finale. She did not come off as likable - to me anyways.

Dance-wise I thought it would be Adam, Josh & Mirai.

People-wise I thought it would be Adam, Josh & Chris.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

So did anyone watch what did you all think?????  Some surprising results!!!.........

Hi @Spurt, I didn't watch the show but I checked out the dances on YouTube and my thoughts are the same as ChiliPepper who posted before me. 

After being impressed with Tonya's foxtrot and quickstep, I was disappointed with her dance last night. I think it was a rumba and I just didn't think it was as good as the previous weeks. I thought Jennie's dance was fine, very pretty, but she just doesn't have the grace to be the best.

Chris' dance was fun (I've got rhythm), and Whitney couldn't be any cuter. Mirai's dance was so good. I liked Adam's contemporary very much, but unlike the judges, I thought Josh's was just as good. Of course, I know little to nothing about dancing!

Dance-wise, I felt like the finalists should have been Adam, Mirai, and Josh. Personally, I would have liked it to be Adam, Josh, and Chris.

How Tonya snuck her way in there seems a little sketchy. Nothing against her, but I would be disappointed if she won. Talent-wise she's just not as good as the other two, so if the best dancer wins, it should probably be Adam (but I like Josh too!). 

I just watched the elimination where there were four couples and they announced Josh and Sharna as the final couple. Sharna looked so surprised, it was cute. I imagine she though Mirai had it for sure. I'm glad it was Josh. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Hi @Spurt, I didn't watch the show but I checked out the dances on YouTube and my thoughts are the same as ChiliPepper who posted before me. 

After being impressed with Tonya's foxtrot and quickstep, I was disappointed with her dance last night. I think it was a rumba and I just didn't think it was as good as the previous weeks. I thought Jennie's dance was fine, very pretty, but she just doesn't have the grace to be the best.

Chris' dance was fun (I've got rhythm), and Whitney couldn't be any cuter. Mirai's dance was so good. I liked Adam's contemporary very much, but unlike the judges, I thought Josh's was just as good. Of course, I know little to nothing about dancing!

Dance-wise, I felt like the finalists should have been Adam, Mirai, and Josh. Personally, I would have liked it to be Adam, Josh, and Chris.

How Tonya snuck her way in there seems a little sketchy. Nothing against her, but I would be disappointed if she won. Talent-wise she's just not as good as the other two, so if the best dancer wins, it should probably be Adam (but I like Josh too!). 

I just watched the elimination where there were four couples and they announced Josh and Sharna as the final couple. Sharna looked so surprised, it was cute. I imagine she though Mirai had it for sure. I'm glad it was Josh. 

@SusieQ_2  I thought Josh's contemporary dance was as good as Adam's, too.  I thought they were both great, probably the best dances of the season.  I thought at least David would give him a 10 since the guest judges usually score one point higher.

I do hope they don't do a short season again.  It's just not enough time for a lot of improvement.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau