Respected Contributor

Anyone been watching the American Idol?

[ Edited ]

I had lost interest in the show when it was on before, but I've been watching the new version with Lionel Ritchie, Katy Perry, and Luke Bryan.  They've cut out most of the "loser" auditions and have replaced that with more background focus and time spent getting to know the contestants.  Katie Perry is an absolute hoot......I had no idea she was so zany and funny.  I'm actually enjoying the show now.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone been watching the American Idol?

@2blondewrote:

I had lost interest in the show when it was on before, but I've been watching the new version with Lionel Ritchie, Katie Perry, and (the country singer, forgot his name).  They've cut out most of the "loser" auditions and have replaced that with more background focus and time spent getting to know the contestants.  Katie Perry is an absolute hoot......I had no idea she was so zany and funny.  I'm actually enjoying the show now.

I agree, @2blonde.  I had given up on it before and gave this one a try and am enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

Esteemed Contributor

I lost interest in the show when it was on before too.  I watched one episode of this latest version and I thought it was really boring.  The judges seem to have no chemistry with each other and they seemed to be trying too hard to make it entertaining, and it wasn't working.  Maybe I just caught a bad segment of it, but I won't give it any more time.  I am also getting tired of all the back stories.  There are so many better things on TV to watch.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I am surprised at the chemistry of the judges. They really work well together. Luke Bryan is my favorite. He is just adorable, and he is very funny, yet when he has to critique he is very gentle about it.

Lionel Richie is the "music maturity" of the three. Of course he has more years in the industry.

I am anxious for it to get out of auditions and go to air as a show. I am not sure they can revive it unless they changed it up a lot. Having it be on Sunday makes it good because there is nothing else on Sunday nights (my own opinion).

I think where they may trip up in ratings is having 2 nights.(if they do) They cannot compete with The Voice or DWTS (spring edition). Those two shows have a lock on Mondays.

DWTS went to one night a week because of The Voice. They rearranged how they voted people off so they did not have to have a 2nd night. So, we will see. I watch all 3 shows, so I always have to pick which is going to be priority, and then I watch the others On Demand on nights when there is nothing else on.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m not a fan of the rebooted version.I think that there is too much fooling around among the judges. They’re also IMO putting people through with little talent. I miss the days of Simon,Paula & Randy!!

IMO the only judge with any credibility is Lionel Richie.

Respected Contributor

@gabstoomuch  I think they only do two nights during the auditions.  I agree that just Sunday would be better, as you say, there isn't much else on anyway.  The only way I watch any show is by DVR, then watching it later at my convenience, and zapping the commercials!  My DVR was acting up badly this morning (it's older and gets used a lot).  I managed to get it running again before I left for work.......I hope it isn't heading south, as I have a lot of recordings on it.  Cat Sad

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

It's good because there is no nonsense like Paula & Simon.  However, I question some of the people that have been put through.  I guess there must be a certain number of people that need to go through.  I think Katy looks good with her hair short.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@2blonde

Agree! We used to be dedicated fans...the new version has been very enjoyable for me anyway!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of Katy.  Love Lionel and didn't know a whole lot about Luke Bryan but he's been quite good when Katy doesn't lead him astray with her nonsense.

I have to say I'm tolerating Katy better but I could do without all the pretense from her.  I think it's funny that she tells everyone to just find and be themselves when she's got layers of makeup and barely there clothes aka her image and commercial product endorsements all over the place which has nothing to do with her musical talent.

I feel like the guys are the only ones keeping it real and stripped down as the amateur talent show it's supposed to be.

I'm kind of tiring with the auditions.  I fast forward through all the background stuff.  Everyone has history.  Just sing and then let the judges' comment.  I'll get more interested personally when they whittle it down some more.         

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

i could do without the sob stories... I know some of the contestants always have “difficult” backgrounds and have heard the hard-luck stories over and over.

I guess it is “good tv” but yes, I’d like it better not to continually hear them year after year.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~