Honored Contributor

Re: YAY! BOBBY FLAY LEAVING FOOD NETWORK END OF THE YEAR

I always liked Sara Moulton's show. Nice and quiet and I could concentrate on what she was doing. And she didn't wisecrack all the way thru, either! She just cooked! I don't think you could record/tape in those days or I probably would have.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Not that it matters, but I don't find him attractive at all. And his hands/nails always grossed me out. You'd think with all his $ he could have his nails cleaned up before going on air.

I watched his Beat Bobby Flay a few times and he always won.  It was either rigged, an ego booster or both.

@scatcat   He bites his nails which is gross, and looks like Howdy Doody to me, lol.

Oh no you din't!  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy   Now, every time I see him I'm going to think of Howdy Doody.   I mean, yeah, you're right but it hadn't hit me.

Valued Contributor

I really like the American Test Kitchen shows . I just started using streaming , yes I know , l am late getting into it ,  The Test Kitchen was not on my cable shows so now I have been binge streaming them from way back . They have some excellent tips , talk about utensils and pans , ingredients compare so much that they have tested and the food is amazing ! 

Trusted Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@chiclets wrote:

@Sis Phillips wrote:

Now if we could get rid of the Guy that has Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Food Network would be much Improved.

Exactly

Guess you missed the Post that "Guy" just signed a new FN contract extension so He will be on for several more years to come.

GOOD for him. He's helped a lot of restaurants succeed because of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline Sara was the host that got me "hooked" on FN.  We'd watch every night at 6 and again at 10 PM.  I still have the VCR tape of a show on which she read a letter I wrote to her.  Too bad I don't have a VCR anymore.

ETA  yes, you were able to tape those shows.

Trusted Contributor

@Magicrat  love that show !

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Not that it matters, but I don't find him attractive at all. And his hands/nails always grossed me out. You'd think with all his $ he could have his nails cleaned up before going on air.

I watched his Beat Bobby Flay a few times and he always won.  It was either rigged, an ego booster or both.

@scatcat   He bites his nails which is gross, and looks like Howdy Doody to me, lol.

@mousiegirl 

And that nasally voice. 

Trusted Contributor

@deeva  & @chiclets .....agree on your take about Guy, he is getting tiresome!  I read long ago he wrote that while filming and visiting these food chains, as host, he is only supposed to take (3) bites of the food being sampled, have you seen his (3) BIG BITES that he shoves in his mouth, his cheeks balloon out.....but he thinks he's a cool dude!

Respected Contributor

Geeeesh, why are people so hateful.  You could have just posted he's leaving and left it at that.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My opinion of Flay has changed over the last year. I used to not like him, thought he was arrogant, etc. But, what I think started my revised opinion of him (and Giada) was their series in Italy. Then I watched several of the Beat Bobby Flays and the BBQ Throwdown show and I could see the camaraderie between him and the other chefs. He just didn’t seem like the person I thought he was. Plus, as noted, he has two beautiful cats that he created a cat food brand named after one of them. I wonder how his restaurants are doing as it seems like many closed and he just has the new one in Vegas now. (BTW, we also went to one of his previous Vegas restaurants and loved it.)

I actually started following Giada after the Italy show and am glad I did. Have already made a few of her recipes. It occurred to me that I’ve always liked what she cooked on her shows and let others opinions sway me about her.

I agree with everything everyone has said about Guy. He IS on too much. I never watch DDD, but I know that he is highlighting small restaurants and can’t fault him for that. I do like Grocery Games and occasionally turn that on. I also saw his Hawaii special with his family on Discovery+ - also very entertaining. You know how each year “they” select the people of the year? I actually randomly thought that he should have been on the list for everything he did in 2020 - but he’s just not cool enough.