Honored Contributor

Warning..eye protection required

who knew frying bacon should require eye protection.After 40 years of safe frying I fell victim to a direct grease hit in the eye...ouch it still hurts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Warning..eye protection required

@dex

Oh, no!  I hope you didn't need any professional attention and that it's OK now.

I learned about using the oven to prepare bacon a couple of years ago from the Barefoot Contessa show (Ina Garten).  You lay the bacon strips on a rack on a baking sheet, bake at about 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, and voila - great bacon.  (It may need adjusting depending on the thickness of the bacon and your own oven.)

I'm sure I won't be the only one to post about this.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Yikes!  Do you need to see your eye dr (NO pun intended)?

ITA with cooking bacon in the oven.  Whenever I cooked it in the fry pan, I always wound up with dozens of little red spatter burns on my forearms.

Honored Contributor

I agree about doing it in the oven.

Furthermore, I will add that I figured out one time that I didn't want all that splatter in my oven so I started putting a piece of parchment over the top of the bacon and pressing it down nicely.  Completely precludes splatter.

Honored Contributor

Eye update for those that asked...a little redness but it is feeling better..and thanks for all of the tips on safe cooking

Honored Contributor

I hope you don't have a fear of frying.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been using the oven for making bacon for years now.  There is absolutely NO splatter at all and my oven was brand new when I first started.  I don't understand it but I'm not comlaining either.  I don't have to cover the bacon either.

Respected Contributor

There are spatter screens in different sizes available. Check out Amazon.

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@dex

Oh, no!  I hope you didn't need any professional attention and that it's OK now.

I learned about using the oven to prepare bacon a couple of years ago from the Barefoot Contessa show (Ina Garten).  You lay the bacon strips on a rack on a baking sheet, bake at about 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, and voila - great bacon.  (It may need adjusting depending on the thickness of the bacon and your own oven.)

I'm sure I won't be the only one to post about this.

Last night I looked up Ina's recipe to see what temperature because I had not done it in a while.  I found another way where you just cook the bacon in a baking sheet covered with foil for 15-20 at 400.  I tried it this morning without the rack and it came out great.  If you like it crispy, use the rack. 

Honored Contributor

Brew you are way too funny...thanks for that