Honored Contributor

Two new movies on Netflix

[ Edited ]

I watched two new movies on Netflix this past week. Both are up for Academy  Awards.

One, Don't Look Up, is a parody. Great cast, but there's no need for their acting skills in the film. It's a parody of things happening today. Cast includes, Leonardo  DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lawrence to name a few. The writers do a great job capturing the absurdities of life in America.

The second movie, The Power of the Dog, is a serious drama starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Durst. This one will probably take best picture. Characterization is key in this film. There are layers to peel away. Acting is high caliber. Story is good. Some viewers might have a hard time understanding some of the things that occur in the story. This is not due to poor direction. There are clues present about everything that happens. You can miss the clues. The film is nominated for 12 Academy Awards.

Honored Contributor

Re: Two new movies on Netflix

@Mindy D I saw both these movies and didn't like either one. I'm glad you enjoyed them. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed both movies. Neither was particularly uplifting, but they made you think!

A recently added movie My Best Friend Anne Frank is also good if you don't mind the dubbing.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw both movies and thought "Don't Look Up" was a"throw away" ( won't be remembered after this year) and "Power of the Dog" was beautifully acted (that's why it got all those nominations). It was slow but worth it.
Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

I did see Don't Look Up , it was just okay in my opinion but it does have a talented cast.

Anything Cumberbatch does in the acting world is superb.  Whether or not the movie is good, he will excel in his role.  I will check this movie out, it is certainly being honored in nominations. Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

I loved Don't Look Up, no sacred cows in that movie!

Thanks for your review of The Power of the Dog, I will be watching

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed both movies. I also liked " A journal for Jordan" ,directed by Denzel Washington.

The reviews were saying it was a slow movie. I almost didn't watch it because of the nagative comments

It is a true story of an American hero, who loved his family and his country.

There is never anything boring in a war movie. My dad was a P.O.W.in Germany for 22 months.

Super Contributor

@Mindy D  Enjoyed Don't Look Up. Thought provoking insight into today's devisive world.

Honored Contributor

I saw Don't Look Up. If that is what gets an academy award they are really hurting for good movies.

I won't watch "Power of the Dog."

I've watched the trailer several times to still try to make sure.

Why that title anyone know?

It seems typical to me that the"academy" whoever they are, tends to nominate these oh so dark oh so?what is the point? movies. They have to be super depressing too filled with I wonder why again, abuse, anger, lifelong resentment, the dark reality of life great not.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"