Trusted Contributor

Re: True Detective, Season 4

@Jordan2 wrote:

Just wondering did anyone watch last night? I'm usually very good with following a plot and get things, I kind of am not sure what is going on. It's the first episode, so maybe we're not suppose to get it yet. 

Haven't watched yet but read a lot of people weren't impressed with the first episode.

Respected Contributor

It was a mess!

Too many other options to give this one a second episode. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm invested so far -  need to know what happened to everyone!  And Jodie Foster is very watchable.  I'm not sure why I stopped watching the last few seasons, but I'm in for this one!

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego @granddi @TurnerGal  I haven't watched the first episode yet.  I want to wait until they are all available.

Interesting feedback.  I heard a review on the radio the other day that says this season is supposed to be as good as the first one.  Gave it rave reviews.  Hope it lives up to those.

Please indicate spoilers if talking about the show.  Trying to be careful what I read lol!

Contributor

I was looking forward to this season because of Jodie Foster but I was so bored I turned it off.  Instead I started watching season 3 and find it so much better. 

Super Contributor

I watched and really enjoyed the start of the season.  It's not the usual by the book, predictable type of dectective story.  The cast in itself makes me want to return and see the rest of the season.  Kali Reis who plays Detective Navarro is definitely a talent to watch.  Looking forward to the next episodes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MeemaJoan @Indra @granddi 

I did watch the 1st episode of Season 4 Night Country

I did think it seemed  alot in one episode, trying to understand  each characters relationship to the other . The pace seemed a bite slow  and then bam  something odd  occurs  , you're  left trying to figure out what's  happening . Then the  disappearance of all the researchers  and that scene of that lady talking to some " man ghost "named Travis  leading her to the researchers , well I wasn't sure what to think .   Guess, I'll see have episode 2 goes .

The only , resemblance to  the 1st episode is the theme of spiritualism .  The theme music has changed  as it is better suited to the location and atmosphere. To bad , really like T Bone Burnett  music choices in  Season 1,2,3 .

" The opening quote in True Detective: Night Country is a direct reference to The Yellow King, who was the mythical antagonist of True Detective season 1. "

"We don't get many answers here, but Night Country already feels eerily reminiscent of season 1's Yellow King storyline. In that plot, we saw a bunch of cultists—who were pedophiles and child traffickers—fixate on the iconography of a godlike figure called the Yellow King. In Night Country, "she" might be a supernatural presence, à la the Yellow King. Given that we have a confirmed appearance of the season 1 cult's symbol (a spiral) in Night Country's trailers, it's possible that HBO will actually try to draw a straight line back to season 1. Is it the same cult? Or just an Easter egg? "   ( from  Esquire magazine   online : True Detective  Recap )

Valued Contributor

I am thoroughly enjoying this season.  I think the storyline is very interesting and Jodie Foster really works. 

Valued Contributor

@Alter Ego - She's very watchable.  This is a good role for her.  Tough and a little quirky.

Respected Contributor

I love this show. While seasons 2 and 3 were really different from season1, I still really like them.

Season4 has me hooked. Did you know that Travis was Rusty Cole’s father (from season 1)? I think are some call backs to Season 1, but not any kind of connection that I have seen.

The 2nd episode, I was like, why are they doing everything at night? Then I realized it is set during the time when they have no daylight, for like 2 months. I cannot even imagine living like that.