Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

I don't know why anyone would give your grief for stating a fact.  Charlie's marriage to Diana was a strictly arranged marriage and on the tabloid press pretended otherwise.  He was 29 and in no hurry to marry anyone because he loved Camilla and they wouldn't let him marry her so he was fine dating this movie actress and that model.  It was time for an heir so they found a virgin with the right pedigree for him and he had no choice in the matter.  It was paramount that he marry a virgin and Diana and was a known commodity, or so they thought.  I don't really fault any of them for it because that is the way it was at the time. The Charles & Diana fiasco was the end of an era and a disaster like that was necessary to force to end the idea of arranged marriages for the heir to the throne.  I've been watching that CNN show, it's fascinating.  It's true, Elizabeth and Phillip were less than sterling parents.  They really weren't parents at all to Charles and Anne when they were young and in their formative years.  Elizabeth was solidifying her reign, Phillip was doing whatever Phillip did.  The oldest two were left to nannies, tutors and boarding schools.  It explains why Andrew is her favorite child, he was the first child she got to actually be a mother for to from birth.  In some ways, Andrew was Elizabeth's first child.  We go to England fairly frequently so I was familiar with some of this but the CNN program goes into much more detail.    

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Love my grandkids 

I don't know why anyone would give your grief for stating a fact.  Charlie's marriage to Diana was a strictly arranged marriage and on the tabloid press pretended otherwise.  He was 29 and in no hurry to marry anyone because he loved Camilla and they wouldn't let him marry her so he was fine dating this movie actress and that model.  It was time for an heir so they found a virgin with the right pedigree for him and he had no choice in the matter.  It was paramount that he marry a virgin and Diana and was a known commodity, or so they thought.  I don't really fault any of them for it because that is the way it was at the time. The Charles & Diana fiasco was the end of an era and a disaster like that was necessary to force to end the idea of arranged marriages for the heir to the throne.  I've been watching that CNN show, it's fascinating.  It's true, Elizabeth and Phillip were less than sterling parents.  They really weren't parents at all to Charles and Anne when they were young and in their formative years.  Elizabeth was solidifying her reign, Phillip was doing whatever Phillip did.  The oldest two were left to nannies, tutors and boarding schools.  It explains why Andrew is her favorite child, he was the first child she got to actually be a mother for to from birth.  In some ways, Andrew was Elizabeth's first child.  We go to England fairly frequently so I was familiar with some of this but the CNN program goes into much more detail.    

He was 33 when they married.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@SharkE   That piece that you are thinking about may be Elizabeth at 90. I think I watched it on youtube. It is mostly her family speaking. Anne, Charles, William and Harry and some others like the Duke of Kent and Margaret's daughter Sarah. It is a very interesting look at the family with lots of home movies. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks !

Respected Contributor

@SharkE   It's on Netflix and Youtube called:  Elizabeth at 90:  A Family Portrait.  I saw it on PBS.  It's very enjoyable with lots of home movies!