Respected Contributor

I just got done watching the amazing Diane Sawyer 20/20 recording of this beyond horrific story.  Omg...how does this happen???  

Valued Contributor

Re: The Turpin Family Horror

What is equally sad is how they've been treated since they were "resqued".

Esteemed Contributor

It's just so sad and horrible that this situation is probably happening right now somewhere else. God bless those children. I hope they can have a normal happy life. 

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously there are holes in the system to protect "at risk" kids. Why didn't teachers report child who was shunned by her peers?  Why did San Bernardino County drop the ball?  Maybe now they'll care since this is once again in the spotlight.

Respected Contributor

There are over 400,000 children in foster care in the USA. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Yeah I watched it too and we only got the surface story. It was still a horror. Unfortunately, these girls were obviously cognitively behind and completely lack any kind of life skills. Their parents took away all of their lives over a 25 year period. You just don't recover from that kind of abuse and go on. They will always need trusting guidance, love, help and support but I don't know where they will find it.  Apparently both extended families are severely dysfunctional.  

Respected Contributor

In addition to the horrible life they lived with dysfunctional parents, it is also sad how they were let down by the system that was supposed to help them.  That really upset me.  And how does this go on for 25 years with no one getting suspicious enough to bring it to the authorities attention. Some of this time they actually lived in a house in a neighborhood.    At the very least request a welfare check.  And if that had happened, would it even be followed up on by the departments charged with protecting children.  From what we heard last night that is doubtful.  I hope ABC continues to investigate this and that changes are made in the County departments whose purpose is to help and protect.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every time I read about this family, I cry.

I bawled last night listening to those girls, especially Jennifer, the older one.  She was 29 when they were rescued.

The older kids still are still being abused by the system.  This makes me sick.

Contributor

Truly sad indeed, they will probably never fully recover from the trauma they experienced  all those years

Esteemed Contributor

How can someone treat another human like that, much less their own flesh and blood?  

I was suprised how well spoken the sisters were

They have been let down their entire lives. 

So so very sad