Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "TUG OF WAR" DAVID JANSSEN ARTHUR O'CONNELL MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

MV5BYWM2NWJmNGItYjNlOS00MTI2LWI3Y2MtOTdmODFkMmJmMGI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern, MeTV--  The Fugitive "Tug of War"  David Janssen, Arthur O'Connell, Don Gordon

Gang, Kimble's on the run in the wilderness again!  This is not one I've seen very often (nor did I have a chance to watch online yet), so I retain only the barest outline of what happens.

As per online synopses, an ambitious sheriff, (Don Gordon) and an older, retired sheriff (Arthur O'Connell) desperate to rehabilitate his tarnished reputation, end up in a deadly contest to be the one to bring Kimble in and reap the glory...   Hey, this one could rightly also go by last week's moniker, "Tiger Left, Tiger Right"!

Don Gordon, he of the Kirk Douglas-esque cleft chin, always seems to be described as "intense"--  he reminds me vaguely of John Saxon a bit.  Popped up a lot of other places, including an excellent turn in "The Invaders".

fugep37sc03.jpg

I'm not even sure of what role beloved character actor Harry Townes plays in this.

hqdefault.jpg

Given that they've garbed him in what looks to be a shapeless cardigan, I'm guessing in the writer's mind he's his/her idea of some sort of small town character, perhaps a 'cracker barrel philosopher' or something.  Hollywood writers love to put such figures in sagging, cuddly sweaters and spectacles-- they have their cherished stereotypes after all!  (I'll be amused and pleased to find myself wrong after viewing...)

Here's Harry Townes as we're probably more likely to remember him:

index.jpg

What a good choice to make Arthur O'Connell the spurned former sheriff with something to prove.  Remember his excellent turn in "Anatomy of a Murder" as Jimmy Stewart's gallant alcoholic lawyer friend, "Parnell"?   He was most memorably steeped in failure, at least at the beginning.  Superb performance:

MV5BZDI0OWRkNjQtMmIxNS00NDdlLWJiZjEtYWM1MjhhZWM4ODUxL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MDEzMTE@._V1_.jpg

So, terrific actors, tense stand-off, let's see what develops!

Here's the online epsiode streaming free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs4CwBON4BA

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TUG OF WAR" DAVID JANSSEN ARTHUR O'CONNELL MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell. I did watch this one earlier in
the week. Like you it's one I haven't seen often but once I started watching I remembered everything about it. Funny you mentioned the title because when I finished watching I immediately thought "there sure is no mystery about what this title means!"

I can see Gordon's resemblance to Saxon but not as handsome. Even in black and white you can tell how very blue O'Connell's eyes must be.

Look for a stunt DJ briefly during a fight.

Ladies at the very beginning you'll see Kimble from the back and a back pocket over his cute tush is unbuttoned. Oh how I wanted to reach through my TV and button that for him! That would give new meaning to MeTV 🤣 (although I watch TF on YouTube, I couldn't resist writing that).

I like Townes in the eyeglasses prop. But OY, another truck in this show that makes me feel ancient.

This is not a favorite epi by any means but on this rewatch I liked it better than in the past. Not well enough to watch it again though before we discuss it tomorrow (I sometimes do that).

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "TUG OF WAR" DAVID JANSSEN ARTHUR O'CONNELL MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

By the way, I mentioned the ancient truck above. But I also thought to myself that helicopters haven't changed all that much in almost 60 yrs!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting, @Pearlee ,  I have a feeling I'll like it slightly better this time around too, than I did before ....

As I've mentioned before, I do seem to have a bias though, toward the ones where he's not being frantically chased, and his very survival's at stake.  Those are a bit stressful, ha.

I like the ones where there's more "meat" to the relationships.  Upcoming ones, like the unsettling one with Tuesday Weld, and the one with Betty Garrett and Ivan Dixon.  Can't wait for those!

Edited for redundancy-- not thinking well today!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I think the upcoming "unsettling" one with Tuesday Weld is stressful! There isn't much difference between unsettling and stressful! 😉
Esteemed Contributor

I remember/recognize the stars in this week's episode.

@Oznell & @Pearlee  - I recently saw the Invaders episode with Don Gordon.  He is also in tonight's DVD episode of Columbo.

I do remember AOC in Anatomy of a Murder, in addition to so many TV roles.

Harry Townes is familiar, just don't know any specific shows.

Any females in this episode?

I will be looking for that unbuttoned pocket!!!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. LOL about the pocket!
Oh yes. Gordon is in tonight's Columbo too -- thank you for mentioning that! You are like a Columbo encyclopedia!

I watched this episode of TF a few days ago and don't remember any females in it. I would like to remind you of my comment several times before about the Epilogue --that it doesn't necessarily take place immediately after the episode's events, just after them.🙂
Honored Contributor

Oops my phone is adding "ue" to Epilog.
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, true, witty @Pearlee !

@twinsister,  one of the summaries I read mentioned a little girl.  But I think she's just at the beginning of the episode, maybe a "catalyst" of sorts...

Hey, I'm glad you caught Don Gordon in "The Invaders".  MeTV is driving me crazy-- first I was all excited to discover Invaders was back on, then when I watched my recording-- it was another show entirely!!   (Our local MeTV does that a lot-- substitutes local or other programming for what's supposed to be on "nationally".  But usually the guide reflects that, and this time it didn't.)

Yet, I tried, not very hopefully, to record it last night, and lo and behold, they actually showed "The Invaders".   A pretty good episode, with Sally Kellerman and good old Ed Begley popping up again....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. You are right! There is a scene with a little girl at the beginning which I loved. She is eating an ice cream bar and has it smeared on her face, exactly as kids do. I thought that was a great touch and detail to include! And she has a very brief but important role.

When @twinsister asked her question about any females in the show, the little girl didn't occur to me because of course I thought of adult females who look at Kimble like Laura did in last week's episode 😍😛🤩. The little girl didn't but would have if she was 15 yrs older!😄