Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RUNNING SCARED" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Tique,  your mention of your mother loving the show always bemuses me, since that's how I got "on to" it myself.  At some point some station must have been running late, late night reruns of it, b/c I remember her staying up very late to watch, and saying how good it was. And she watched very little TV, apart from her CBS soaps.

Here's to the sensitive and perceptive mothers who handed down an abiding interest in The Fugitive!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  😂 My mother never watched it!  It was all me, me, me loving DJ and The Fuge, no outside influence, my own 11 yr old (when it started) good taste!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I am sure you know this, that Tim is Tyne Daly's brother.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Oznell   I am sure you know this, that Tim is Tyne Daly's brother.

@mousiegirl  Yes, that they are James Daly's children has been posted on this thread.

Respected Contributor

The first thing that struck me. Wow, what thick heavy eyeliner. Not every woman could carry off that look well, but It really was becoming and did give Joanne Linville an expressive look.

Such a contrast in marriages, and how one partner knows their other half and supports their other half. Leonard instinctively knows what his wife needs and does what he can to comfort her. Ballinger oblivious to his wife as anything other than a prop, while she tries to be dutiful. Harriet was certainly the more kind and empathetic in that marriage. Her concern towards Donna's loss of her father seemed so genuine.

Interesting that the prosecutor who helped convict Kimble could be the same man who eventually could be in the position to commute the sentence. I imagine would not be a comforting thought to Kimble.

Honored Contributor

True, @Pearlee ,  there's more than one way to true "Fuge" appreciation.

@mousiegirl,  yes, weren't the Dalys quite the acting family?  Let's see, there's James, (I think his wife Hope acted also), Tyne, Tim, at least one of Tyne's daughters by Georg Stanford Brown is an actress, and if I'm not mistaken, at least one of Tim's offspring is as well...

Yes, @Etoile308 !   Glad someone beside me was so struck by the stark juxtaposition of the two  different marriages.  A very piquant part of the episode.

Interesting point about the prosecutor being one who could commute sentences, too.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I thought she meant that if the prosecutor won his race  for governor he could commute sentences.

Honored Contributor

That makes sense, @Pearlee ,  I wasn't thinking it through to that, but, yes, that sounds right.   I wonder, if he hypothetically ran and won, if he would have to recuse himself from the commutation decision, given the role he played in successful prosecution. 

Regular Contributor

I'm glad I watched this episode.  It was very good.  And because of your recommendation @Oznell I even taped it which is something I almost never do.

I agree with the comments, but we will never know if the marriage fell apart of if he won or lost.   They didn't have cliffhangers in those days.  Personally, I think the marriage was doomed anyway.  Unlike the episode with Gerard's wife, that was a marriage, as he loved and cared for her.  The situation here was there was no discussion of his running for higher office,  which struck me kind of odd.  The only reason she tried to save Kimble was her belief that she could save her own marriage.  I don't think she did.  It really should have been enough that he won the case in court .  He didn't care enough to speak with her about his run and just walked away blaming her for  any negativity she felt and mad that she helped Kimble.  Also, I expected her to give Kimble's whereabouts, as a last ditch effort.  It was really no surprise and fit with her agenda.

it was really nice to see the closeness and warmth Donna and Richard had for each other.  At least he felt love from Donna being on his side.  

Very good episode...

As an aside, Tim Daly was a successful actor in those days.  He had a series called Wings which was very popular and ran a few years.  Don't know what happened to him though.  Tyne Daly is his sister, known for Cagney and Lacey, Dirty Harry, and much much more.  I remember her being interviewed about Colombo.  Turns out she made more guest appearances than anyone and she was proud being the only one Peter Falk ever kissed in the series.  I saw that episode.  She did looked shocked.  Maybe it was in the script, maybe not?  She never said.

Honored Contributor

That's very interesting, @chloe4578 ,  you're another one here who was not surprised at Harriet's betrayal of Kimble--  I guess I'm one of the few who somehow convinced myself that she'd do the right thing, even if it meant scuttling her marital chances...

Glad you recorded and enjoyed the episode too!  And there are at least two more quite good ones ( in my 'umble opinion, at least) upcoming before the wrap-up of Season 3.

How cute that Tyne Daly got Columbo's kiss!  Love these fascinating little 'TV history' anecdotes...