Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RUNNING SCARED" D. JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell wrote:

@Pearlee's right, @Judaline !   If you do ever get interested again, you might very well like it.   It'd be great to rope you in...

Nah, but if they ever bring Richard Diamond back, I'd be intereseted. Richard and Mary Tyler Moore's legs, lol.

Regular Contributor

Richard Diamond was a far better series IMO.  Although I didn't watch it originally, I have watched it on UTube.  DJ and those Mary Tyler Moore's legs alone are worth the time.  Great series, but for some reason, didn't make it.  Only The Fuge.  My parents watched the show every week without missing a beat.  To each his own.

@Oznell @Judaline @twinsister 

Honored Contributor

The Fugitive is #36 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows.

(Of course on my list it's No. 1).  Richard Diamond is not on the list.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

The Fugitive is #36 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows.

(Of course on my list it's No. 1).  Richard Diamond is not on the list.

Guess there wasn't much interest in Private Eye shows back then.

Esteemed Contributor

Great episode!  @Oznell @Pearlee - I understand why you both liked it so much. 

It was suspenseful throughout with all the cat and mouse, hide and seek going on. Such a series of coincidences and being in the wrong place at the right time.  It was strange that after her husband left and was being tailed, that another cop wasn't watching Donna also.   I loved the scenes between Kimble and Donna and they were so believable as a loving brother and sister.  As has been said before, Jacqueline was perfect for the role.  Also liked that he had a bouquet of flowers for Donna.

I was a little surprised that Harriet gave up Kimble at the very end, especially after all the trouble she went through with him, but her marriage and husband were more important than his career or Kimble's fate.  @Oznell - agree that she was dressed as a typical 60's politicians' wife.  

Also thought it was strange at the game, when Kimble disappeared, Gerard didn't at least run out the door to try and find him. Sometimes, Gerard has that "deer in the headlights" look after Kimble once again has eluded him - HaHa.

There are times I get distracted by things like decor, etc. that are so dated and that I remember.   Those window treatments @Oznell !  The rotary dial pay phone, the candleholder with the fishnet covering on the restaurant table and the black wreath indicating a death.  Haven't seen that since the mid -60's.

I would definitely watch this episode again,

Honored Contributor

Just curious, "the neglected wife (Joanne Linville) of former Kimble prosecutor "Mike Ballinger" (multiple Fuge performer James Daly)"

Did you see the prosecutor and his wife in earlier episodes?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Just curious, "the neglected wife (Joanne Linville) of former Kimble prosecutor "Mike Ballinger" (multiple Fuge performer James Daly)"

Did you see the prosecutor and his wife in earlier episodes?

@drizzellla  See my post on p1 right after Oznell's OP.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinsister wrote:

Great episode!  @Oznell @Pearlee - I understand why you both liked it so much. 

It was suspenseful throughout with all the cat and mouse, hide and seek going on. Such a series of coincidences and being in the wrong place at the right time.  It was strange that after her husband left and was being tailed, that another cop wasn't watching Donna also.   I loved the scenes between Kimble and Donna and they were so believable as a loving brother and sister.  As has been said before, Jacqueline was perfect for the role.  Also liked that he had a bouquet of flowers for Donna.

I was a little surprised that Harriet gave up Kimble at the very end, especially after all the trouble she went through with him, but her marriage and husband were more important than his career or Kimble's fate.  @Oznell - agree that she was dressed as a typical 60's politicians' wife.  

Also thought it was strange at the game, when Kimble disappeared, Gerard didn't at least run out the door to try and find him. Sometimes, Gerard has that "deer in the headlights" look after Kimble once again has eluded him - HaHa.

There are times I get distracted by things like decor, etc. that are so dated and that I remember.   Those window treatments @Oznell !  The rotary dial pay phone, the candleholder with the fishnet covering on the restaurant table and the black wreath indicating a death.  Haven't seen that since the mid -60's.

I would definitely watch this episode again,

@twinsister. So happy you liked it too -- I knew you would.

Yes, the scenes between brother and sister were so touching, and the resemblance between JS and DJ is just uncanny, down to their smile (I always wonder if they thought they looked alike).  And yes, it is very  suspenseful. If only JS hadn't looked over to see Kimble one last time, Gerard would never have been tipped off that Kimble was there and chase him.  I always enjoy Gerard's look of frustration when Kimble evades him.

So glad you mentioned the flowers, I was going to. Kimble--- always thinking of others. That was so sweet. 💐  He was also quite a gentleman lying to Ballenger about how he got into his hotel room, to protect Mrs. Ballenger.   This was another epi written by Don Brinkley, Christie's father.  

Like you, I was distracted by all the 1960s stuff that I remembered. Mrs Ballinger's hat was pill-box-y (and real fur, still commonly worn in the 60s). Those chain locks again on the doors! And OY the window treatments in Ballenger's hotel room, dreadful, like in a brothel!  The telephones actually ringing --- I miss that!

As for just one cop staking out the Tafts house and only following Len, I just assume the police force was too small to have 2 cops on a stakout, esp if they were only speculating that Kimble would show up.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister,   you've hit on so many of the things that I loved or noticed, and some that I didn't!   Great summary.

My favorite part of course, is that scene in the vast, echoing arena, where Kimble, Donna and Len furtively meet.  I too just love that relationship that Donna and Kimble have, and that she can sort of 'fall apart' with all the emotions, and he understands, but gently exhorts her to keep it together.

And that "Len" (Lin McCarthy) tactfully retreats to get coffee for them to give his wife and brother-in-law time together, then comes forward.  And that's my second thing I liked so much, that close, intuitive, affectionate relationship that Donna and Leonard exemplify.  She knows she can utterly rely on him, and he's an ally worth having-- he was canny and smart, as he showed when accosted by police and at other times...

Ditto my suprise also at Gerard giving up so easily, AND at Harriet so readily betraying Kimble at the end.  I kept thinking--  why did you do that.  Your husband isn't worth it.  But she clearly thought otherwise.

Yes, @drizzellla ,  James Daly is a multiple "Fuge" performer, (in a totally different role) but not as the Kimble trial prosecutor!  I'm glad they got him for this episode-  Daly's so good at portraying the "self-absorbed careerist".

Just an excellent episode on so many levels...

Honored Contributor

Just saw yours, @Pearlee --  yes about Kimble trying to protect Harriet with her husband with some quick, less-than-truthful thinking!  I liked that too, it was subtle and completely in character for gallant Kimble...