Honored Contributor

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED: On this day in 1959, rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson died in a small plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa

Honored Contributor

Waylon Jennings gave his seat to Richardson because Richardson was ill with the flu.

Valens earned a seat from a coin toss with Alsup.

We have been at the Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock, Texas.  Quite an interesting display.

The Buddy Holly Center announces 2021 Summer Showcase Concert Series Line-up

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I love the song American Pie. I didn't know what music it was talking about til I looked it up. When it comes on the radio in the car I blast it!Woman LOL Such a great song by Don Mclean.

And such a sad tragedy too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I think the unofficial story is that a handgun was found close by the crash site. One wonders what might have really happened.

I think so, too, @on the bay  that is a real catchy song!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I think the unofficial story is that a handgun was found close by the crash site. One wonders what might have really happened.

I think so, too, @on the bay  that is a real catchy song!

@Harpa   Is this old conspiracy still floating around???  LOL

If the story is unofficial then there nothing to wonder about.

Then again, Bob Dylan was murdered by a gov't entity and replaced with a look-alike.  Proof?  The cover of "Nashville Skyline" doesn't even look like Bob Dylan.  Unofficially, of course.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 "Then again, Bob Dylan was murdered by a gov't entity and replaced with a look-alike.  Proof?  The cover of "Nashville Skyline" doesn't even look like Bob Dylan.  Unofficially, of course.  LOL"

I gave birth to Elvis Presley's love child in 1982 and Jimmy Hoffa, Amelia Earhart and Jim Morrison were the midwives.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@Cakers3 "Then again, Bob Dylan was murdered by a gov't entity and replaced with a look-alike.  Proof?  The cover of "Nashville Skyline" doesn't even look like Bob Dylan.  Unofficially, of course.  LOL"

I gave birth to Elvis Presley's love child in 1982 and Jimmy Hoffa, Amelia Earhart and Jim Morrison were the midwives.Smiley Very Happy

@lgfan  Oh my! I would have handed over the baby to Amelia and ran off with Jim!

Honored Contributor

I remember crying when I heard the news, I was a young girl .  What a tragedy losing three great musicians.  Buddy Holly was before his time musically and many after him were influenced by his guitar playing and singing. I still listen to his music and it is as great today as it was decades ago.  The day remains clear in my mind.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED: On this day in 1959, rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson died in a small plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa

I just finished a book entitled, Stars Over Clear Lake. It was fiction but it depicted a huge dance hall where the big bands played, and it mentioned many times the plane that went down there and who was on it. Just a coincidence that I read the book only recently and your post. I had never heard of (or maybe just don't remember) Clear Lake. But I remember who was on that plane.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately it wasn't the day the music died because along came the Beatles. 😁

I do love Buddy Holly's music, and the Big Bopper's too.