Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Fortunately it wasn't the day the music died because along came the Beatles. 😁

I do love Buddy Holly's music, and the Big Bopper's too.

@Pearlee @now that is the truth !   What would the world have been like if the Beatles never existed?   Not a world I'd want to have lived in .😔    So much if my life and I know you would agree is based on there music,  which I'll add will never happen again .  It was once and not to ever be repeated .

i do love the music by Buddy Holly ....., "True Love Ways "  gone way to soon 😞

Honored Contributor

"The Day the Music Died" is not literally abou the end of music, obviously.

Nor does it mean the Beatles kept music alive.

While the deaths of Buddy Holly et al were the influence for the opening of "American Pie" with the obvious references - Don McLean explained it this way:

Don's studies began to slip when he bought his first guitar and wanted to pursue a career in music.  Don's father died when Don was 15 and Don fulfilled his father's request to finish school.  Don then graduated from a prep school and briefly attented Villanova.

His pursuit of music (died) during that time.

It was about the death of his father that indicated the music died (for a time being) and the end of an innocence during the early days of rock and roll.  Don said the opening verse is about both - the pause in his own pursuit of music and end of the music Buddy Holly, Valens, and RIchardson gave to a generation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

"The Day the Music Died" is not literally abou the end of music, obviously.

Nor does it mean the Beatles kept music alive.

While the deaths of Buddy Holly et al were the influence for the opening of "American Pie" with the obvious references - Don McLean explained it this way:

Don's studies began to slip when he bought his first guitar and wanted to pursue a career in music.  Don's father died when Don was 15 and Don fulfilled his father's request to finish school.  Don then graduated from a prep school and briefly attented Villanova.

His pursuit of music (died) during that time.

It was about the death of his father that indicated the music died (for a time being) and the end of an innocence during the early days of rock and roll.  Don said the opening verse is about both - the pause in his own pursuit of music and end of the music Buddy Holly, Valens, and RIchardson gave to a generation.

@Cakers3  😂😂😂😂

Well since you are so invested in setting the record (pun intended) straight, those eyeglass frames in the photo you posted don't look like Buddy Holly's, which were angular, not rounded. 😜