Esteemed Contributor

TCM Summer Under The Stars Lineup

[ Edited ]

Plan for August's Summer Under The Stars!  Here's the lineup.   A number of the regular tried and true but nice to see Jean Arthur, Ruth Roman, Maureen O'Sullivan, Jack Carson,  Myrna Loy.

Are your favorites here?!

Aug 1  - Elvis Presley
Aug 2  - Jean Arthur
Aug 3  - Sidney Poitier
Aug 4  - Ruth Roman
Aug 5  - Orson Welles
Aug 6  - Audrey Hepburn
Aug 7  - Gene Kelly
Aug 8  - Maureen O'Sullivan
Aug 9  - William Holden
Aug 10 - Greta Garbo
Aug 11 - Laurence Harvey
Aug 12 - Jane Powell
Aug 13 - Marlon Brando
Aug 14 - Elizabeth Taylor
Aug 15 - Randolph Scott
Aug 16 - Raquel Welch
Aug 17 - Spencer Tracy
Aug 18 - Shelley Winters
Aug 19 - Toshirô Mifune
Aug 20 - Joan Crawford
Aug 21 - Clint Eastwood
Aug 22 - Constance Bennett
Aug 23 - Mickey Rooney
Aug 24 - Jacqueline Bisset
Aug 25 - Gilbert Roland
Aug 26 - Vivien Leigh
Aug 27 - Marilyn Monroe
Aug 28 - Cary Grant
Aug 29 - Myrna Loy
Aug 30 - Jack Carson
Aug 31 - Peter Sellers

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Summer Under The Stars Lineup

A lot of my favorites are listed, but there are 2 that I dont care for.  Greta Garbo & Raquel Welch.  While I do watch their movies they are not among my favorites.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Johnnyeager 

We really enjoy TCM.

3FCE0FD0-3CE9-4DAD-A2B0-30D765906E00.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Johnnyeager !   I also love Jean Arthur and Ruth Roman. 

I'd like to see also,  Dan Duryea, Teresa Wright, Joan Bennett, Joseph Cotten, Claire Trevor,  Elisha Cook, Barry Sullivan, Claudette Colbert, George Raft, Howard da Silva, Gene Nelson, D i c k Powell, among others.  Some of them get lots of attention from TCM of course, but not all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am hoping that TCM shows "What's the Matter with Helen?" on 8/18 with Shelley Winters.  They showed it last Friday and that ending is still shocking after all these years.

I only wish that they would include Anthony Perkins in the list of movies.  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

Thanks for the info-----Pretty good lineup----I wish they had added Ginger Rogers, Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper.....

Dont care much for Raquel Welch

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I bet there were many meetings and memos at TCM about the line up for "Summer Under The Stars". I am sure they put alot of time and effort into the list.

Some stars appeal to me and some stars do not appeal to me. But by now I have learned that what appeals to me does not appeal to everyone. So I will enjoy some of the movies and pass on some of the movies.

And be thankful that TCM shows many movies that I do enjoy. Also give me a chance to get other things done, so I am not watching movies all through the month of August.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Preliminary Shelley Winters Day (8/18)

Blume in Love (1973)

Behave Yourself (1951)

My Man and I (1952)

Treasure of Pancho Villa (1955)

I Died a Thousand Times  (1955)

Lolita (1962)

The Chapman Report (1962)

TBA

TBA

There are still 2 empty slots.  I could watch a number of others including The Poseidon Adventure, The Diary of Anne Frank and A Place in the Sun.

Two other of my favorites are on the schedule: A Patch of Blue on Sidney Poitier Day and Executive Suite on William Holden Day.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Preliminary Shelley Winters Day (8/18)

Blume in Love (1973)

Behave Yourself (1951)

My Man and I (1952)

Treasure of Pancho Villa (1955)

I Died a Thousand Times  (1955)

Lolita (1962)

The Chapman Report (1962)

TBA

TBA

There are still 2 empty slots.  I could watch a number of others including The Poseidon Adventure, The Diary of Anne Frank and A Place in the Sun.

Two other of my favorites are on the schedule: A Patch of Blue on Sidney Poitier Day and Executive Suite on William Holden Day.

I wonder if TCM is still working on getting the rights to show whatever two movies they are trying to get for Shelley Winters day. It must be a difficult job at times, getting the rights. Sometimes they are working with the families of the stars, creators or music for the rights. And it can take years to resolve some issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ann Blyth would have been a nice choice, considering she will be 94 on August 16th, one of the few remaining studio contract players.

I would program Mildred Pierce of course (this is showing on Joan's Day) along with Another Part of the Forest, Our Very Own, Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid,  Kismet, The Great Caruso and The Helen Morgan Story as examples of her film work