Respected Contributor

Re: SpectrumCharter pulled all Disney owned channels

Given my last spectrum bill just went up over $10 a month with no notification, I think this pulling of channels might encourage more people to 'cut the cord".

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I don't support Disney's recent decisions, so I don't care if the channel is pulled.  Maybe spectrum felt that people would not care if it was included in their line-up as a result of their decisions.  Spectrum's priority is money not programing or considering its clients so I suspect this decision was money biased.

@phoenixbrd , I have read various things about people protesting Disney's decisions.   I need to read up on it.  All I know about their decisions is making their movies more inclusive in every way and to the point of changing story line,  which many people feel is causing the low box office.  

Is that the gist or is there more to it?

I no longer go to Disneyland nor shop at Disney store so really aside from reading little blips here and there I an not up on it.

Respected Contributor

Disney pulled its channels from Spectrum because they could not agree on a new contract. I have lost CBS twice for long stretches of time. Once on Dish while living in the Texas Hill Country. The second time was in New Mexico on our cable provider. My husband was upset because he missed a good portion of the football season. They reached an agreement just before the last playoff games. 

Losing access to stations is a common negotiating strategy between both parties.  Our New Mexico cable does not have any of the channels that show Law&Order. The group was dropped to hold down costs.

Streaming options are another pressure on cable. I am glad I am not in charge of any entertainment negotiations.

Respected Contributor

I just saw a commercial from Spectrum saying Disney pulled their channels from Spectrum. On another issue, my bill went up and I called Spectrum last week and was told a notification of increased bills were sent out several months ago. I don't remember getting that info. I talked to the retention department and got my bill lowered.  I'm already on the 15 channel select program to keep my bill down. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I just saw a commercial from Spectrum saying Disney pulled their channels from Spectrum. On another issue, my bill went up and I called Spectrum last week and was told a notification of increased bills were sent out several months ago. I don't remember getting that info. I talked to the retention department and got my bill lowered.  I'm already on the 15 channel select program to keep my bill down. 

You only get 15 channels on Spectrum. I know they have 150 channels select but haven't heard of 15.  Please let me know how you got this program. Very interesting.

Honored Contributor

This is what @NYCLatinaMe wrote in the other post about Spectrum.

I think this whole thing is a ploy by Disney to have Spectrum subscribers to sign up for its packages that are outrageously priced.

There was a Hulu series I was interested in, and I checked it out.  Hulu with ads is $8/month, without ads, $15 month.  Then they had packages with Disney+  and ESPN+ for $70 and $83/month!  Who wants to pay that much for that!  It's about as much as Spectrum with Max and Showtime for me.  $8/ or $15 month to watch one or 2 shows on Hulu?  Nope.

Spectrum wants Disney to sell its streaming package within its cable programming, as Spectrum is concerned that Disney is saving its best stuff for streaming.  I think I have exactly 2 shows, once a week, I watch on ABC, so Spectrum appears to have a point.

Netflix without ads is $10/month and they have much more programming.

Paramount+ without ads is less than $10 a month and they have much more programming, a very extensive library of programs.

The Disney hook is sports.  They should separate that as a package and charge a reasonable amount for the non-sport stuff.  That would be more fair to consumers.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@simplyfriends I have DirecTV and we haven't had CBS and some other channels all summer.  Still don't.  Funny, I still have CBSSN which is a sports channel.  I would've expected that to be tied to CBS. Their negotiations are with Nexstar.  

@Icegoddess , that's odd.  We have Directv and haven't had any issues whatsoever with CBS or any other channel.  I wonder if it's a local affiliate.  I live in NYC.  

Honored Contributor

I'm team Disney !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Is Spectrum going to give every one a credit on their monthly bill for the loss of all these channels?

Esteemed Contributor

Most streaming services raised their prices this year. This is just another round of increases. 

I have a DisneyPlus bundle and my family could stream a game on ESPN+.