Esteemed Contributor

Re: SEVENTIES' DETECTIVE SERIES

@Highlands72 wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

I watched most of the detective shows mentioned and enjoyed them.  My sister is a fan of the Thin Man series with Myrna Loy and William Powell, she has watched the movies whenever they have been on TCM for years.  We both have loved Charlie Chan since we were young girls and now have the DVD's to watch.

Not long ago, one of the retro channels was showing The Thin Man TV series with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk.

I watched a few episodes. It was ok, but nothing in comparison to William Powell and Myrna Loy. I can watch them over and over again and never get tired of them; that goes for all of the movies Powell and Loy made together.

________________________Smiley Happy

@Highlands72 

@spiderw  

@Oznell

I can't remember exactly when I discovered

The Thin Man series with Myrna Loy and William Powell ( original) but like each one that enjoyed these, also, and spider woman's sister, I can watch those over & over,  Woman Happy which is a feat within itself. 

My husband had known an older neighbor from his childhood friend's father that died 3 years ago.

This man had the entire library of Charlie Chan that he had sent to my husband, prior to his death. 

I don't remember any of the ~these~; actually never remembered anything Chan or Bowery Boys while young.  I really did not watch much TV unless there was a western. My brother loved these so much on early Saturday mornings. These were oldies to us.

I remember a certain cowboy, (??) Kit Carson.. I was smitten..what did I know at 12...?

I was young when Perry Mason was very popular, loved the music, but was more an outside girl.

Mason is on METV at nights, here ...believe I've seen almost everyone. 

What I did like was going to The huge theaters, (not a boxed building cinema room) Saturday's 1st showing each week with my best buddy girl friend.

I don't believe [the exciting THEATERs] still exist. 

That began at age 13 to 17- where my movie education came to life, or was seeking some interest.

Most of the movies I have spoken about were from the

** ' TCM ' when we finally decided on cable.

Our son was always was telling us my friends have cable, can we? Guess who won..... Ahhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

'....snippets of trivia was so interesting coming from Robert Osborne'

I remember (sp)> Phyliss Kirk's name, though. Didn't she have short hair with thick dark bangs, and always wore pencil skirts / very high heels? Can't remember the show.

Valued Contributor

Miss Fisher (Phryne) is played by Essie Davis.  Nathan Page plays Det. Jack Robinson.

This series is based on the books written by Kerry Greenwood.   Takes place in Australia. 

The year is 1929, I think.  Phryne (fry knee) is a single heiress who goes back to Australia for a particular  serious, personal reason.  She is a very liberated female. Her character is not so much flamboyant, but you know when she comes into the room.  She is charming and disarming, but Det. Jack is having none of that and is quite disdainful of her attempts at sleuthing.  

Her clothes are fabulous and she is so attractive, as is Jack, but the other characters are very interesting, also.  The show is just so well done.  She gets a tiny bit risque sometimes, but it's not overdone.   The show has humor.  I really, really enjoyed it.

If you can, just watch the first episode.  It will give you a taste.  It might still be on Netflix.  The acting is good. 

I found it highly entertaining.  There are probably reviews online as well as  Amazon, who sells the books and perhaps the DVDs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Elri  wrote:

Miss Fisher (Phryne) is played by Essie Davis.  Nathan Page plays Det. Jack Robinson.

This series is based on the books written by Kerry Greenwood.   Takes place in Australia. 

The year is 1929, I think.  Phryne (fry knee) is a single heiress who goes back to Australia for a particular  serious, personal reason.  She is a very liberated female. Her character is not so much flamboyant, but you know when she comes into the room.  She is charming and disarming, but Det. Jack is having none of that and is quite disdainful of her attempts at sleuthing.  

Her clothes are fabulous and she is so attractive, as is Jack, but the other characters are very interesting, also.  The show is just so well done.  She gets a tiny bit risque sometimes, but it's not overdone.   The show has humor.  I really, really enjoyed it.

If you can, just watch the first episode.  It will give you a taste.  It might still be on Netflix.  The acting is good. 

I found it highly entertaining.  There are probably reviews online as well as  Amazon, who sells the books and perhaps the DVDs.

@Oznell

@Elri  is so right about the Miss Fisher series.  They were shown on tv on PBS stations and depending on your area, may still be.  But as she says, they are on DVD and may stream as well.

Very sophisticated, very witty, very glamourous, very smart.  Her friends and employees are also clearly delineated as characters.  Even her wonderful car is brilliant!

Once you get Miss Fisher under your skin, branch out to the equally witty, but in a different vein:  Mr. and Mrs. Murder (picture at bottom)  That is also an Australian series, cut off too soon. (only 13 episodes), but so delightful.  The characters work as "cleaners" of crime scenes and, of course, find many clues the police miss.  Their police officer friend does tolerate their help from time to time.  It's in a modern setting.  Intelligent fun.

Finally, once you start watching Miss Fisher, you not only watch, but you find yourself wanting to BE her.  She is captivating.

Image result for miss fisher's car

Image result for mr and mrs murder

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Elri .  Agree about "Miss Fisher". What a great series! We have seen them all. Two great actors. It's funny, my sister who lives in Australia has never heard of this series. I told her about it and she said she will look for it.

Honored Contributor

They sound great. Now I have TWO new series to check out!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorites of the 70's-era police shows were Colombo, Kojak, Simon and Simon, Rockford Files and Magnum PI!

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

I hope I wasn't hallucinating (again lol), but I thought I read  they may make another season in late 2018.  That's good,  because it will be winter and I will need something to keep me from going completely nuts.  Unless it is too late Smiley Happy 

So funny that Essie Davis is blonde naturally.  She really is good. 

Valued Contributor

@Oznell

And, have you have seen Foyle's War?   Hoo boy, that was fantastic.  Just sensational.  I wanted to order the DVD's but they may not be CC, because many people who bought them said they weren't captioned even though advertised as such.

Miss Fisher's is cleverly done.  Not high or low-brow, by any means, and she can be a teeeensy bit free-spirited LOL.    But, she is just so charismatic.  

Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach

That's what I told my friends.   I want to BE Miss Fisher. 

Honored Contributor

Right?  More and more, I'm finding it's a common reaction, @Elri

A very special show.  Her attitudes are very modern, and she makes no apologies.  

I bought one season on DVD.  I'm tempted to buy them all.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.