Honored Contributor

Dear sweet, wonderful (and I really mean it) @Oznell, I was talking about you yesterday to my teenage niece.

She loves to go to the bookstores (especially the huge bookstore near my house).  We recently went there and she got tons of books.

I didn't pay any attention to what they (she and her brother) picked out, I just pay for it.  Ha!

Well, sitting in the car (on the way to lunch) she mentioned she is reading "Dorian Gray".

I said, "Did you know there are several movies with the same name and based on the book"?  She went bonkers and right there I looked it up on my phone.

The first movie (I'm remembering, which is sometimes inaccurate...Ha) was made in 1945, the last one was (I think) 1971 or therein.

She said she was going to have her Dad try to get it so she can watch the latest one!

I told her all about you and how wonderful you are to us to post 'old' movies that are wonderful and we are all missing by not watching them. 

My grandma used to say, "When your ears are burning someone is talking about you".  

Well, yesterday I was talking about sweet Oznell and (of course) it was only wonderful, sweet words about you.  

How could it be anything else?  Take care sweet girl and have a wonderful day.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda

Respected Contributor

Oznell is special and we all realize that she has a gift when it comes the classic movies and their details.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I enjoy reading about the movies. Many I’ve never seen before. Sweet lady.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell my late friend and I once saw a movie called "Laura".  I don't remember much about it, except it was a very old movie.

From the time we were in high school way into adulthood whenever we were down, we'd just say to each other "Waldo Liedecker".  He was a character in the movie I believe.

Anyway, I looked it up just now but didn't have time to read the synopsis.

Have you ever seen that movie?  To any of you...."Have you ever seen or heard a name that (when you hear it) sticks in your head for whatever reason?

This silly name always reminds me of my friend (she died a few years ago) and brings wonderful memories back.

I do remember, I liked the movie and it was old.  Have you ever seen that movie?

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh, what nice things, @Annabellethecat66 and @Catiele and @OKPrincess.  Right back at you-- I derive so much enjoyment out of all our movie discussions.  There's the movie, but it's double the enjoyment to hash over with others of like (or even unlike) mind!

@Annabellethecat66, I think I've only seen one version-- the one with Hurd Hatfield.  It was so elegant, lacquered, almost and stylized.  Wonderful performances.  That story is so disturbing, i've not viewed it as many times as some others, ha.

It would be fantastic if your neice sees one or more of the versions, and you are able to share a bit of her reaction.  Love to get responses to the classics from young people.   I'm sometimes surprised by what my son does, and doesn't like!

You have a fab day spreading more of your sunshine, @Annabellethecat66!

Honored Contributor

Oh, I just saw your latest post, @Annabellethecat66.   Yeah, "Laura" is considered one of the truly durable film noir classics.  Directed by Otto Preminger. 

There a a number of people here who have that as their top film ever, and can quote dialogue, recount scenes, etc. chapter and verse!   Do you remember the haunting theme music? I think that's part of the overall appeal.  That plus the performances, Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price and Judith Anderson.  It's a fabulous mystery about obsession, a woman's disappearance, shifting loyalties, etc.

You remembered a good one!  The next time I'm aware it's on, I'll try to send you an alert... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

@Annabellethecat66

"Laura" is also one of my favorite movies. But who can forget the wonderful clothes in this movie as well. Gene Tierney looked like a goddess in the white gown that she wore in one of the party scenes. And Judith Anderson's wardrobe was also divine.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Oznell my late friend and I once saw a movie called "Laura".  I don't remember much about it, except it was a very old movie.

From the time we were in high school way into adulthood whenever we were down, we'd just say to each other "Waldo Liedecker".  He was a character in the movie I believe.

Anyway, I looked it up just now but didn't have time to read the synopsis.

Have you ever seen that movie?  To any of you...."Have you ever seen or heard a name that (when you hear it) sticks in your head for whatever reason?

This silly name always reminds me of my friend (she died a few years ago) and brings wonderful memories back.

I do remember, I liked the movie and it was old.  Have you ever seen that movie?

@Annabellethecat66  Laura is one of my very favorite movies, so much so that  bought the DVD.  I not only love it, but Clifton Webb is one of my favorites, ever see Sitting Pretty, he played Mr. Belevedere, a genius, was their babysitter, what a riot, with Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara, wonderful movie.

I also loved the furnishings and appearance of the apartment in Laura, looked like a house, so large inside.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh my gosh, what nice things, @Annabellethecat66 and @Catiele and @OKPrincess.  Right back at you-- I derive so much enjoyment out of all our movie discussions.  There's the movie, but it's double the enjoyment to hash over with others of like (or even unlike) mind!

@Annabellethecat66, I think I've only seen one version-- the one with Hurd Hatfield.  It was so elegant, lacquered, almost and stylized.  Wonderful performances.  That story is so disturbing, i've not viewed it as many times as some others, ha.

It would be fantastic if your neice sees one or more of the versions, and you are able to share a bit of her reaction.  Love to get responses to the classics from young people.   I'm sometimes surprised by what my son does, and doesn't like!

You have a fab day spreading more of your sunshine, @Annabellethecat66!

@Oznell  Whenever I run into someone who tells me I look wonderful, I tell them I have a portrait in my attic, like The Portrait of Dorian Gray, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Oh, now you're talking, annabelle! That just happens to be my favorite movie and the song is my favorite song, and Gene Tierney was my favorite actress. No, IS my favorite actress. I know most of the dialogue by heart and it's funny about your story-my BFF and I saw this movie on the big screen and were totally entranced and mesmerized by it. She named her daughter Laura. I could go on and on.