Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I think what you are telling her is all the right stuff. Keep it up. She'll know how much you love her for telling her, even tho she doesn't agree right now, she'll remember it sometime.

Honored Contributor

I was just reading in one of my magazines an interview with Debbie Reynold's son.

It was interesting.  One think that stuck with me was his mom saying (when talking about the movie she made "Singing In The Rain") (paraphrasing) "One of the most difficult things I had to do was tap dance in the movie 'Singing In the Rain".

She said she'd never had any dance lessons and here she was dancing with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66159/15-toe-tapping-facts-about-singin-rain

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

@Oznell

My mother told me she was going to name me Laura after seeing the movie.

I love the name and felt an affinity to it.  Also love the movie!

Sadly, she chose another name that I have never felt fit my personality.

Ahhhh, the song and those lyrics:

You know the feeling of something half remembered Of something that never happened, yet you recall it well. You know the feeling of recognizing someone That you've never met as far as you could tell, well. 

Laura is the face in the misty light

Footsteps that you hear down the hall
The LAUGH that floats on a summer night
That you can never quite recall
And you see Laura on a train that is passing through
Those eyes how familiar they seem
She gave your very first kiss to you
That was Laura but she's only a dream
She gave your very first kiss to you
That was Laura
But she's only a dream

Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry you feel your name doesn't fit your personality, @Witchy Woman-- I know how important that is.  My first name doesn't fit me either-- my middle name comes closer, and that's what everyone calls me...

Your terrific sense of humor is shown by your choice of your screen nickname!

ETA--  And thanks for those lyrics.  Now that dreamy music is forming a loop in my brain...

Honored Contributor

Ha! Ha!

I was named Marilyn. Yes, nothing like growing up with that name. Believe me, my parents did NOT name me after another Marilyn.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy WomanOf all the times by all the artists, I've never heard the intro to Laura. How pretty. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline

I confess to having never heard it either.  I knew most of the lyrics and, when I looked it up, some versions came up without that intro.

But, something about it seemed familiar -- perhaps an artist talking that part?  It's been years since I even heard the song, although I hear the tune in my head!

I think it bears further investigation Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman Well, I've been investigating. I found many entries about the song, many showing the lyrics, but no intro. David Raksin wrote the music, I knew that, but it seems Johnny Mercer added the lyrics after the movie made the song popular. And that's where I found the intro, under laura lyrics johnny mercer. I guess we've solved the mystery, except for the question, 'why don't vocalists sing the intro?' Personal preference I guess. I've heard Johnny Mercer sing it, but just never caught it from the beginning. Case closed?

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  TCM now 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year.

Just realized you knew about this. Have a good weekend!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Thank you, thoughtful @Coquille.  You have a great weekend as well!