Honored Contributor

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous LIfe

I felt the scene where her parents walked into her home was very scripted.

There is a lot of speculation online that she's had a miscarriage or abortion. Of course we all know that you can't believe everything you read online, but it has me wondering. She did answer a post about her being pregnant, but only by saying that she couldn't discuss it due to contractual issues.

I really like Babs and feel she's very attractie for her age as well. It's not that I dislike Whitney, but I do believe she's a brat. 

Surely someone at her weight be a cantidate for gastric bypass or lap band surgery? Has that ever been discussed on the show? I don't watch all the time. Of course I suppose there would be no show if she lost all the weight. I feel she's being exploited by TLC. They certainly don't care about her health.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4whitney doesn't feel she needs gastric bypass.  She believes you should love your body regardless of what shape the body is.  I agree that you should love your body, but I also feel you need to improve your health when you can.

As far as jobs, she works at the 'Charlotte radio station which is at least 2 1/2 hours away from where she lives.  She also teaches dance, but my guess is tlc paid for the h9use.

youre right, her Facebook is public and a lot believe she faked the pregnancy for ratings. 

I liked the the first season, but I think the show has ran its course.  She is bratty.  Previews for next week show a guy talking bad about her weight. Part of me thinks that's staged.  

I think she she could help so many people if she lost weight the old fashion way and show the positive changes it could make in a persons life.

babbs reminds me of my mom.  😀

Honored Contributor

I've watched the show and vacillates between showing how difficult life is for such an overweight person and how wonderfully she is doing being this overweight.  In other words (I don't know if she realizes it) but she's sending out mixed signals.

It's obvious life is difficult for someone as large as she is.

Quick story:  I had a best friend in high school.  She was the most kind hearted person I've ever known.  Just amazing.  In school she had an amazing figure (21 inch waist) big boobs, amazing.  Then right out of high school she met a pig of a male.  She was abused and ended up with 2 sons.  They were both handfuls but one was terrible.  She turned to food.  A few years went by and I saw her and she was overweight but it was still manageable.  Then more years went by and when I saw her she was bigger than Whitney.  She'd called me and said "her Hospice nurse told her to tell her friends good-by"  (she was dying of cervical cancer).

I went to see her at home.  She was in a hospital bed in her living room.  Some male was there who couldn't speak English.  She asked him to leave us.  I found out later from her family he was a man who had an obsession with extremely overweight women and was stealing her money.  Enough about him....ugh!

Anyway, we talked about the old days and she told me that she'd been to the Drs and the Drs told her that she was just too fat for the machines (I guess Chemo, etc) and that she just needed to go home to die.  This is what she did.

I remember she told me she had a broken arm because her sister was changing her sheets and accidentally turned her over and she'd rolled over on her arm and broke it.  That's how large she was.

I adored her.  She was still as sweet and wonderful as way back when.  

We loved and I made arrangements to see her again in a few days.  I also made arrangements to have flowers sent to her.  I saw her on a Friday and Monday was a holiday, so the flowers would be sent on Tuesday.  

I got a call on Tuesday from the florist saying they couldn't deliver the flowers because the recipient had died.  I called her family and she'd died over the weekend.  The male that had been with her had fled with some of her jewelry, etc.  The police was looking for him.

Anyway, the problem very overweight people experience is people look the other way, or make fun of them.  It seems like making fun of fat people is STILL something that seems to be acceptable in some quarters.

I hope this girl will eventually realize there's nothing cute about being overweight.  It's deadly.

Someone once said to me, "Have you ever noticed people say, "She has a pretty face" when they look at an overweight person?  Do you have any idea how many times that actress has heard that?  Did you hear how many times people said that at the Golden Globes and every other award show?

I love "This is Us" but I don't like the way it's as if they (and this show) seems to be making it normal and OK to be overweight.  I'm not saying anyone has to be mean or rude or hurt people who are overweight.  I'd have gone after anyone who'd done that to my friend.  I DO want them to have compassion but also interject that it isn't healthy and the person does need to loose the weight and when they come at you bouncing around acting like "its all wonderful", look at them and say, "How could it be?  I love you so much...I'm there for you to help you but not enable you".  

Where's the line between the enabler and the supporter?

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4  I think all obese people on these types of shows are exploited. It reminds me of the carnivals with the odd and unique people that would be on stage called at the time freak shows....Same thing  these programs on obese people today in the 21st century  called a reality show......

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden I don't know. My 600 lb Life seems to help people and they are following the people over a ten year period.  Some keep the weight off, but they have to lose weight on their own prior to surgery.  The doctor makes it clear that surgery is no easy fix and you have to change your behaviors.  I've only seen two women that didn't change their habits and didn't lose much; like 20 lbs after surgery. They kept saying I'm doing it at my own pace...  translation I don't want to change anything.

Honored Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

@SeaMaiden I don't know. My 600 lb Life seems to help people and they are following the people over a ten year period.  Some keep the weight off, but they have to lose weight on their own prior to surgery.  The doctor makes it clear that surgery is no easy fix and you have to change your behaviors.  I've only seen two women that didn't change their habits and didn't lose much; like 20 lbs after surgery. They kept saying I'm doing it at my own pace...  translation I don't want to change anything.

@makeup addict   It is a trait of the addict.. to live in denial.....

Respected Contributor

I watch this show but with the pregnancy storyline, I feel it is unreal and for ratings. I don't like being manipulated and will quit watching. I quit watching Project Runway when I felt the outcomes were not realistic and people were assigned roles.

Honored Contributor

Well, if you watched last night this won't be news to you.

Spoiler
She's not pregnant.  It was a false positive due to her condition.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@makeup addict wrote:

@makeup addict   It is a trait of the addict.. to live in denial.....

No, overwhelming food cravings PLUS several other aspects, INCLUDING denial.

And yes, "....at my own pace..." can certainly be an attempt to justify an overwhelming desire to binge. And just to emphasize- OVERWHELMING.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

Well, if you watched last night this won't be news to you.

Spoiler
She's not pregnant.  It was a false positive due to her condition.

I knew this was the case even  during the upcoming show commercials they had on for a month prior to the show being on.... It was so  obvious that it was just to make people watch.   It kind of ticks me off that they played it up so much and then it was just a " opps, not pregnant at all... and then on with the show.  Even on her facebook page she played it up to the end leaving all her face book friends wondering if it was true.  She said she could not tell anyone anything yes or no due to her contract.  I think it is a down right lie to have people thinking you are pregnant and giving you congradulations etc... when you know that you are not pregnant.  She basically sold herself out for the paycheck.  I would never believe another thing she says after this.