Honored Contributor

Re: Mary Tyler Moore Show trivia

I just read on IMDb"The Mary Tyler Moore Show is generally included amongst the finest television series ever produced in America."

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I also remember that Rhoda had her own spinoff show for a while.  She had a boyfriend and think she married him.  I can see his face but can't remember the character's name or the name of the actor.

@Suzeecat   David Groh, now deceased.

Honored Contributor

MTM aired from 1970 to 1977.

Honored Contributor

Oh, David Groh, that cutie, now gone.  My heart is broken.

Respected Contributor

Thinking back the one thing I did not like about that first apt was the sofa bed. Of course, those days were long before aero beds, etc. I agree they sure don’t make shows like this anymore. Those of us who grew up with these shows have some good memories!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, she has two apartments. The first one with a sofa bed had more character than the one in an apartment building.  She kept it way too neat.

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Remember not long before the show ended Mary did move to a nicer, bigger apt, where she actially had her own bedroom. 

I don't remember that either.  I forget what year that show ended, maybe I was in transition somewhere and wasn't watching anymore on a regular basis.

Wasn't Betty White also on the show?  Or am I thinking of another show?  Wasn't she a cook/chef and have the hots for Lou?  Maybe she did a cooking segment on the news show?  She was real hot to trot.

I always loved watching this show! Betty White played Sue Anne and her cooking show was the Happy Homemaker. 

Respected Contributor

Yup, the Sue Ann episodes were always hilarious.  Liked the one where her show was cancelled, but management had her fulfill her contract.  They had her doing humiliating assignments like dressing up like a flower for a kids show -the head puppet bossed her around.  And, reading embarrassing promos for "My Mother the Car"!

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone remember the episode when Chuckles the clown died? I think Chuckles was his name. Sometimes I will watch it on youtube. It is SO funny; at least to me. I showed it to my late husband once but he did not laugh; he never liked sitcoms. One of my friends and I still laugh about it. Mary is in one of those situations where you should surely not laugh but you just can't help it!

Honored Contributor

@icaughtu wrote:

Does anyone remember the episode when Chuckles the clown died? I think Chuckles was his name. Sometimes I will watch it on youtube. It is SO funny; at least to me. I showed it to my late husband once but he did not laugh; he never liked sitcoms. One of my friends and I still laugh about it. Mary is in one of those situations where you should surely not laugh but you just can't help it!

This episode gets mentioned as being one of the best written/acted of all time and I couldn't agree more.  How the scenes/emotions/acting flow through was truly a work of art.

One of my personal favorites was when for some reason the entire newsroom was angry/not speaking to each other and then got snowed in.  My favorite character of all times Sue Ann Nevins had cooked a Christmas dinner from around the world and because of their circumstances they were forced to sit down and eat together.  Sue Ann made each guest wear a hat representing a featured country and I will never get the image of Mary sitting there with that Kaiser helmet with the spike on top.  Great ending to that show too.  Great show all around.