Honored Contributor

Re: Marie Antoinette - New Series on PBS

I just read non fiction in regards to most everything except Stephen Kings books. LOL

History is my favorite subject.

Like to watch these history dramas for the scenery

clothing, hair dos.

Glad Louis hauled off and smack the meaness out of that brother, finally.  Hope they send that ugly wife of his to a nunnery.

Trusted Contributor

Excellent series!  Hated to seevit end.

Honored Contributor

I watched, expected to enjoy it, but didn't, so I just gave up on it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I watched, expected to enjoy it, but didn't, so I just gave up on it. 

@occasionalrain  I gave it four episodes. It wasn't awful but it wasn't compelling either, so I opted out. As noted, for me, the best thing about the show were the sets, costumes and other luxe production values.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@kittykatkay 

I will likely not see this, but wouldn't mind.

If you have never seen the movie version of MA with Norma Shearer, you might enjoy it.  It's from 1938, but I loved it.  She was an amazing actress.

Gods and Foolish Grandeur: Illusion upon illusion - Norma Shearer in color  photographs from Marie Antoinette, 1938

Honored Contributor

I haven't been watching the series, only because it didn't appeal to me. But, on Sunday night, I tuned in because there was nothing else on TV and saw Ben Franklin making a bid for the French to join the Americans' fight against the British.  Is the series historically accurate or is it mainly fiction, a screenwriter's idea of how M.A.'s life went?  If the former, I might be interested.  

Then I learned this was the last episode of the season...

Honored Contributor

Par for the course. Too much emphasis on s*x. Some people actually watch for historical fact. State of France and what made the people rebel and start a revolution.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE  It is a "historical fact" there was a lot of sex (attempted as well as successful) between "the Dauphin turned king" & Antoinette.  It was her job to produce an heir (the next Dauphin) ASAP after marriage......Even though it took 7 years to consummate.  I see no reason to leave all the sex out especially after both figured out what to do.   Both were acting like rabbits & dogs in heat <-------historical fact.  Smiley LOL

Now that the next Dauphin has been born, her job is done.  I bet PBS slows down to nil the sex.

SIDEBAR:  What I do find unbelievable is that the Dauphin did not know what to do regarding sex for 7 years!.  He had a brother & father.  None of them instructed him?  His father "the king" did not lend him his favorite mistress to school him?

I believe Louis had a "medical" issue down there. icon_razz.gif

I was surprised she lasted as Queen for 7 yrs childless.  I wonder if the real reason is because Louis wanted her to stay or her mother had something to do w/it?

Antoinette did throw extravagant parties, wore expensive gowns & wigs, gambled, etc. daily while the people were starving. She emptied France's treasury.  A little bit of this has already been shown.  PBS is working up to the revolution.  She had 3-4 children by the time the revolution started.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Just read that it was renewed for a second season.  I enjoyed watching this and was disappointed thinking that the last episode was really the end of the series.  I did not realize that Marie was only 14 when her mother send her to France to get married.  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SharkE  It is a "historical fact" there was a lot of sex (attempted as well as successful) between "the Dauphin turned king" & Antoinette.  It was her job to produce an heir (the next Dauphin) ASAP after marriage......Even though it took 7 years to consummate.  I see no reason to leave all the sex out especially after both figured out what to do.   Both were acting like rabbits & dogs in heat <-------historical fact.  Smiley LOL

Now that the next Dauphin has been born, her job is done.  I bet PBS slows down to nil the sex.

SIDEBAR:  What I do find unbelievable is that the Dauphin did not know what to do regarding sex for 7 years!.  He had a brother & father.  None of them instructed him?  His father "the king" did not lend him his favorite mistress to school him?

I believe Louis had a "medical" issue down there. icon_razz.gif

I was surprised she lasted as Queen for 7 yrs childless.  I wonder if the real reason is because Louis wanted her to stay or her mother had something to do w/it?

Antoinette did throw extravagant parties, wore expensive gowns & wigs, gambled, etc. daily while the people were starving. She emptied France's treasury.  A little bit of this has already been shown.  PBS is working up to the revolution.  She had 3-4 children by the time the revolution started.

Yeah, they could have just hit on that fact during one episode not for the whole season. I feel sorry for the royalty children they're main purpose is to marry another Royal and be a brood mare thereafter.

Thank God poor Kate had a heir and a spare and a girl

Her job is done. She was sick all the time and so thin all the while. I won't live to see it, but, George will be the next one to have to 'carry on'.