Honored Contributor

My family knew a M.A.S.H. doctor from the Korean war. When I asked him if life was like the movie and TV series, he just laughed and said of course it wasn't. But he liked the TV show! 

Anyway, today listening to the virus coverage they once again mentioned they might have to resort to Mobile Army Surgical Hospitals as backup to other hospitals. I looked at DH and said that 20 years from now people would probably be watching a "new" version of M.A.S.H. Wouldn't that be something? Of course he looked at me like I was crazy. But just for fun, I started thinking  -

If you were casting M.A.S.H. today, who would you cast to play the main cast. We'll use the cast from the first season, but feel free to add someone who showed up later in the series:

Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake

Corporal Radar O'Reilly

Captain "Hawkeye" Pierce

Captain "Trapper John" McIntyre

Major Frank Burns

Major Margaret Houlihan

Lieutenant Francis Mulcahy

and of course

Corporal Max Klinger

For some reason, I think Matthew Perry from Friends would make a good Henry Blake.

Just something we can play around with! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

M.A.S.H.  is one of Mr. 4 kitties and my favorite shows.  We love to watch reruns of it and laugh.  My favorite season is the 4th as I loved Col. Potter.

Personally, I could never imagine any other actors in these roles.  But it will be fun to see what others think!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

I'm not a huge M.A.S.H. fan, but I'll play along. For him-Image result for Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake

How about a blast from the past, Kirk Cameron?

Image result for kirk cameron

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

I will go with Michelle Williams for Hot Lips Houlihan.

Image result for michelle williams

Image result for hot lips houlihan

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

For Hawkeye, I see Charlie Sheen-

Image result for charlie sheen

Hawkeye AlanAlda

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

For John Francis Patrick Mulcahy-

Father Mulcahy

I'm going with Neil Patrick Harris-

Image result for neil patrick harris

Respected Contributor

Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake-Robert Downey Jr or Michael Keaton

Corporal Radar O'Reilly-Tom Holland

Captain "Hawkeye" Pierce-Ryan Reynolds

Captain "Trapper John" McIntyre-Paul Rudd

Major Frank Burns-Alan Cumming

Major Margaret Houlihan-Regina King

Lieutenant Francis Mulcahy-Ryan Gosling or Joseph Gordon Levitt

Maj Charles Winchester-David Oyelowo

Corporal Max Klinger-Michael Cera

What fun!

Honored Contributor

We were huge M*A*S*H fans and I record many reruns.

The only character who for me didn't quite fit was Max, and that was ONLY because Jamie Farr always looked way too old for the part.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake-Robert Downey Jr or Michael Keaton

Corporal Radar O'Reilly-Tom Holland

Captain "Hawkeye" Pierce-Ryan Reynolds

Captain "Trapper John" McIntyre-Paul Rudd

Major Frank Burns-Alan Cumming

Major Margaret Houlihan-Regina King

Lieutenant Francis Mulcahy-Ryan Gosling or Joseph Gordon Levitt

Maj Charles Winchester-David Oyelowo

Corporal Max Klinger-Michael Cera

What fun!

I like these suggestions!

I could see one of the brothers on Frasier (Kelsey Grammer or David Hyde Pierce) in the role of Dr. Charles Winchester.  

I could see the grandpa on Blue Bloods (Len Carious) or Clint Eastwood as Col. Potter and Adam Sandler as Klinger.  I think Jay Leno would make a good Klinger too, if they wanted an older version of Klinger.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono - I LOVE your choices! And thank you for including the pictures too - that helps us visualize them! I think your choice of Kirk Cameron is better than mine of Matthew Perry. I thought of Perry because Henry Blake was a bumbler who could be all business when he had to. I was basing it on "Chandler," but Kirk Cameron definitely looks the part.

@Dusty1 - I like yours too! I'd go with Michael Keaton for Henry - good choice! Good pick of Regina for Hot Lips too and Paul for Trapper - I wouldn't have thought of that. ! The others are perfect. I like Ryan for Father Mulcahey. Not sure about Michael for Klinger though. We'll see what else comes up!

@wildcat fan - I love your idea of one of the "Crane brothers" for Charles, probably Niles more than Frasier. I could see David Hyde Pierce having fun with that.

I also think Michelle Williams would be great as Hot Lips. I thought of Scarlett Johansson too. I thought of Luke Macfarlane (Mercy Street) for Father Mulcahy. He has the "gentle" look. 

We still haven't come up with a Klinger that is perfect IMO. But I'm sure we will! Thanks for playing! Smiley Happy