Honored Contributor

Lark Rise to Candleford on HULU

Set in 1895 this is a 4 season series from BBC about a young girl leaving the poorer hamlet to work at the post office in the city.

Has anyone seen this?  I've never heard of it but it is based on a trilogy of semi-autobiographical novels by Flora Thompson. 

It's an interesting take on life in the hamlet and life in the more sophisticated Candleford and how progress is starting to affect both areas.

I'm on the 3rd season now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lark Rise to Candleford on HULU

Hi @Cakers3 😊 This is my new show.  I just finished season 2, episode 1, last night.  I really enjoyed the first season, but seeing the ghost story as a starter to season 2 makes me wonder if they go in a totally new direction with the show?  I love all the characters and the setting.  I haven't read the books, but I'm planning to look for them after I watch the series. 

It sort of reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder since the narrator is named Laura and keeps a journal.  I see a little Harriet Olson in the Pearl Pratt and Pa in Robert Timmons.  

Honored Contributor

That is a great show, and if you are a Downton Abbey fan, did you notice that Robert is played by Brendan Coyle, Jon Bates ?  Also Dorcas is played by Julia Sawalha, who was Saffron the long suffering daughter on Absolutely Fabulous.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've seen all the seasons before.  And right now it's being repeated on my PBS station.  I always enjoy seeing it again.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Yes, I've seen all the seasons before.  And right now it's being repeated on my PBS station.  I always enjoy seeing it again.

Sounds interesting. I wish my PBS station would pick up something engrossing right about now. They just had one of their endless fundraisers but it seems like their programming, overall, is the weakest it's been in years... Moreover, tired of all the Masterpiece dramas being essentially about World War II... PBS has long been my go to network but lately there hasn't been much worth going to...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I watched the entire series several years.  It's wonderful.  I'd watch again but don't have HuLu.  Enjoy

Respected Contributor

I watched the first episode but didn't find it interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

That is a great show, and if you are a Downton Abbey fan, did you notice that Robert is played by Brendan Coyle, Jon Bates ?  Also Dorcas is played by Julia Sawalha, who was Saffron the long suffering daughter on Absolutely Fabulous.

@QVCkitty1   Yes and Ruby (Victoria Hamilton) played the Queen Mum in the series Crown-the first 2 seasons.

Also Gabriel (Richard Harrington) was in Hinterland among other great shows.

Rose Cavaliero who played Mrs. Mullins has been in quite a few series, too.

I recognize faces and have to look them up.  LOL

Then it's "oh yeah" I remember him/her in something else.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Hi @Cakers3 😊 This is my new show.  I just finished season 2, episode 1, last night.  I really enjoyed the first season, but seeing the ghost story as a starter to season 2 makes me wonder if they go in a totally new direction with the show?  I love all the characters and the setting.  I haven't read the books, but I'm planning to look for them after I watch the series. 

It sort of reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder since the narrator is named Laura and keeps a journal.  I see a little Harriet Olson in the Pearl Pratt and Pa in Robert Timmons.  

@wildcat fan   Hi wildcat-it does remind about Laura Ingalls Wilder.

The ghost story was odd but the series will continue on as before.

I'm still in Season 3.

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah-the Pratt sisters.  LOL

Robert Timmins is annoying sometimes.

Oh and Queenie (Linda Bassett) is Nurse Crane on "Call the Midwife".