Honored Contributor

Re: If you have Prime video, BEING THE RICARDOS is a don't miss

i have not watched the movie yet, but it will be interesting to watch after reading all these mixed reviews.

a bit off topic, but TCM will be having a Desi Arnaz day on 2/22/2022. some of his movies will be showcased that day. i am not sure if they have ever done this for Desi before?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have not watched the movie yet, but it will be interesting to watch after reading all these mixed reviews.

a bit off topic, but TCM will be having a Desi Arnaz day on 2/22/2022. some of his movies will be showcased that day. i am not sure if they have ever done this for Desi before?

Thanks for the heads up @sunshine45 .  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was extremely disappointed in this movie.  I think Lucy could have been portrayed by someone else.  All I saw and heard was Kidman, not Lucy.  I didn't get lost in the character. 

I had such high hopes for this movie too.  I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever happened.  

Honored Contributor

I just think that they could've made up (and hair-styled) Nicole better.  Much better.  And that makes it more *believable*.

I always thought that Cristina Ferrare looked a lot like Lucille Ball (not Lucy Ricardo), but as Lucille in day to day life.  Except for the red hair.

Super Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I hope I'm not the only one who thought it was so depressing.

It was not such a happy union or life for her I thought. 

I like Nicole Kidman and yes think she can be a good actress but in this I was always aware she was Nicole or oh, this is where she has practiced that Lucy face where she is thinking or hatching up an idea.

And I thought Lucy herself must have been difficult to work with; Desi too.

"Ethel and Fred" were very good too,

but still the entire movie I was so aware everyone was acting their hearts out! And it shouldn't be that way. Maybe because no one can really recreate these iconic people that we watched for years.

I wanted to watch this but was glad when it was over. 

@on the bay You're not the only one who found it depressing and you said it very well. "Maybe because no one can really recreate these iconic people that we watched for years." Exactly!

@on the bay 

Contributor

I just got done watching this and I thought it was terrible. I've always like Nicole Kidman but she did a terrible job. The scenes that they did from I love lucy I know well. And i just cringed at how unlike Lucy she was in the scenes. From her look to her unrealistic facial expressions was just awful.
Honored Contributor

I watched the first thirty minutes and then got up and did other things with it in the background because I kept staring at Kidman's face trying to figure out how they made her look like that with prosthetics and couldn't get over how weird she looked.

Some of the recreated scenes were okay but overall, I kept thinking, what were they thinking. No wonder both actors wanted to scrap it. It sure wasn't in the theater for more than a week and wasn't even PPV. 

Contributor

I'd never heard of the actor that played Ricky and even though he seemed ok I couldn't get over the creep factor that he looked like her dad and not her husband.9
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I am one of the few who did not enjoy this movie. I did not get even 30 minutes into the show. I was bored, and actually fell asleep. 

Esteemed Contributor

I liked it well enough. I agree that Javier Bardem looked too old to play Ricky, especially when he was younger in real life. He was good though, and showed how savvy Ricky was. I did like Nicole as Lucy - I too was surprised by the casting, but she worked for me. However…I ended up googling some things afterwards (especially after that final phone call!)

I was particularly struck by who suggested the pregnancy story line. If I were this person’s family, I might even be a little annoyed by the artistic freedom taken. (Although that note from the head guy about “don’t xxx with the Cuban” is apparently true.)