Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "RUN THE MAN DOWN" MONDAY 2:00 A.M.ET Metv D. JANSSEN

"Run the Man Down" starring David Janssen, co-starring Ed Asner, Georgann Johnson, James Broderick (father of actor Matthew Broderick)

Georgann Johnson was in a prior wonderful epi where she had a little blond son who looked a lot like her, who saw the world differently from other people. He knew he was "odd" and Kimble encouraged him to be different (Kimble was the only person whom the boy invited into his secret cave). 

Although this epi is suspenseful, we've seen this plot several times before. Kimble is fleeing from both state and local police somewhere in remote mountains. While running, Kimble encunters a man with a gunshot wound (Kenny) who forces Kimble to take him to a cabin where he's supposed to meet his henchmen ftom a robbery.

Kimble does so (he should have just dropped the guy off there at the cabin door and run!) Laura has just rented the cabin for a week to get over a fight/breakup she had with Owen, the sheriff (Broderick).  Into this scene comes Asner and two other men, Kenny's colleagues in the robbery. And so the men hold Kimble and Laura hostage while Broderick seeks Kimble.

This was another OK epi which I'd have liked better if I hadn't seen various iterations of this plot over the past 3 years of the series. Beautiful scenery and all the acting is good. Johnson is always pleasant and likeable. She reminds me of Hope Lange but IMO has more personality and spunk than Lange,  who always seems rather low key to me. (Lange was in the 1st epi of Season 4.)

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "RUN THE MAN DOWN" MONDAY 2:00 A.M.ET Metv D. JANSSEN

Epilog photo

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't enjoy this episode and was a little bored.  For me, it was too implausible that a woman alone in a secluded cabin, without a phone, would invite them in to the cabin.  She didn't seem the least bit leery about them staying overnight.   The next morning she was cheery announcing breakfast was ready, like they were friends.  

I guess after almost four years, the writers were running out of original ideas. This formula of  Kimble being forced to help someone with his medical knowledge and strangers believing his proclaimed innocence has become boring for me.

There is one thing, and it is trivial, was that bright red sheriff's jeep.  It was such a contrast to the old pick up truck Kimble was driving.

Regular Contributor

First of all who was that little old lady who was supposed to live in that house and how did Laura end up there?  She didn't strike me as someone who would live without a phone.  Seriously?

I am tired of these houses far up in the woods, miles away from civilization without a phone and one person living in these rural areas, with vigilancies totally taking over in pursuit of money.   And I'm tired of Kimble's clothes.  He has been wearing the same jacket and pants for the last 4 weeks, I hope he washes them, although I can't imagine where.  Maybe he's just beginning to act like a real man on the run in the last season.  I don't know, but I think the writers could do a much better job with the storyline.

Never saw a red Jeep that the Sheriff was driving.  That really came from out of nowhere

i could go on but @twinsister did a good job in her synopsis of the episode.  Frankly, Ed Asner was the shining light on this one.  Without him I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the second part.  I did like the way Laura let Kimble go saying he was the reason they were alive.  Good girl!

I did like the episode despite the flaws but wouldn't watch it again

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I didn't enjoy this episode and was a little bored.  For me, it was too implausible that a woman alone in a secluded cabin, without a phone, would invite them in to the cabin.  She didn't seem the least bit leery about them staying overnight.   The next morning she was cheery announcing breakfast was ready, like they were friends.  

I guess after almost four years, the writers were running out of original ideas. This formula of  Kimble being forced to help someone with his medical knowledge and strangers believing his proclaimed innocence has become boring for me.

There is one thing, and it is trivial, was that bright red sheriff's jeep.  It was such a contrast to the old pick up truck Kimble was driving.

@twinsister  HA! I thought the exact same thing about Kimble's ancient-looking truck and the red Jeep (the latter hasn't changed much in all these years!)

I hear 'ya about the writers and recycled plots but trust me, there are still good epis to come. I wonder at exactly what point in time Janssen said it's his last season and so maybe the writers just recycled from the archives rather than get creative since they wouldn't need to worry about being renewed.  Georgann Johnson's 1st epi was so much better!

As for her welcoming the strangers to her cabin, yes I agree that isn't credible, but we are looking at it from our view.  The Clutter murders (In Cold Blood) that happened not all that long before the Fuge, were the real eye-opener to you can't leave your doors unlocked any more and there is danger even in supposedly safe places. So I can see a small town girl acting the way she did. I wouldn't have in 1967 but I'm from a large and always-was-dangerous city so I was raised to be very cautious. Laura wasn't and was being hospitable to strangers in need, and even handled the guy who made a pass at her fairly well.  All that said, I basically agree with you.

Esteemed Contributor

@chloe4578 -Good point about where is Kimble washing his clothes - LOL!! We're not supposed to question stuff like that!   I'm tired of the rural location episodes too.

@Pearlee - I agree about Laura being so trusting, that we are looking at it from our view.  Like you, I was raised in a big city and was taught to be very careful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chloe4578   I forgot where they said the old lady who owned the cabin was, but I'm pretty sure I answered your question in my OP. Laura and Owen, the sheriff, her boyfriend, had a fight or broke up, 

And she rented the cabin for a week, as she said to Kimble, to cry about it alone up there.

Regular Contributor

@Pearlee 

Yes, I know that from your synopsis of this episode, but it still doesn't explain the old lady and who she is. She was mentioned at least twice so she should have had some importance to the story.  I still say I can't imagine Laura being without a phone.  Just my opinion, but I don't think she was just a small town girl