Valued Contributor

I watched it so you dont have to....

Triangle of Sadness

Nominated for Best Picture.

Why?

Not funny, no redeeming message, semi interesting storyline (rich people on a yacht, captained by a drunk Woody Harrelson) ruined by what seemed like everyone improvising their lines.

The female lead, Charlbi Dean, a beautiful young model/actress passed away in August from a viral infection. 

Valued Contributor

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

[ Edited ]

All Quiet on the Western Front

Nominated for Best Picture

One of the hardest most uncomfortable movies I've ever watched. Band of Brothers on steroids. But a part of history I know very little about.

Idealistic 17 year old friends join the Imperial German Army in WW1. What ensues is nothing short of gut wrenching, realistic horrors of war. Mud and blood and bones and tears. Juxtaposed by the men in clean suits, demanding fresh croissants making decisions to waste troops during the last 15 minutes of the war. For 4 years, the Germans fought on the front to gain only a few meters of ground. Heartbreaking and all for nothing.

Btw, 17 MILLION people died in WW1.

ETA: if you watch this movie, notice the ominous sound track playing in the background as the young soldiers move closer to the front. or closer to their doom. It happens through out the movie and just adds to the eerie, smoky, muddy feel of the film. 

Respected Contributor

@Stelladorable Thanks for the review.

We are always up to a movie challenge. But we tried EverythingEverywhere- not once but twice. We have gotten about one fourth the way through and quit. 

Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

We are always up to a movie challenge. But we tried EverythingEverywhere- not once but twice. We have gotten about one fourth the way through and quit. 

I'm leaving that for last. If it's like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon I know I'm not going to like it. Now that i know you've  started and stopped twice, I might can the idea altogether.

Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

My husband and I thought it was the worst movie we have ever seen. So bizarre.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

Worse movie of all time is 'Noah' with Russell Crowe.

How he let himself be talked into that idiotic movie

I'll never know.

bizarre o...............

Honored Contributor

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Starring:  Wesley Snipes, Patrick Swayze & John Leguizano

Three drag queens travel cross-country until their car breaks down, leaving them stranded in a small town.

WTF.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I loved Everywhere, Everything. The best movie I saw this year. Imaginative, unexpected, not linear. You just have to let it happen. Some people hate abstract art. Some people want Top Gun to win.

Respected Contributor

I know some will disagree but I disliked "The Banshees Of Inersherin."

The fingers....tough to get past that and extremely disturbing.

I have no clue how it could be nominated for "Best Picture" this year.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Starring:  Wesley Snipes, Patrick Swayze & John Leguizano

Three drag queens travel cross-country until their car breaks down, leaving them stranded in a small town.

WTF.gif

I loved this! The three male leads were great, but the rest of the cast was good too. I was familiar with almost all of them. Stockard Channing is also one of my favorites. I loved the interaction with the people of the town. I laughed so much! 

I am a huge Patrick Swayze fan, and have been since I first saw him in North and South. I've seen a lot of his work, so I had to see this. 

He would have gone on to continue to make amazing movies. He fought his cancer a lot longer than people expected.