Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,886
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

[ Edited ]

@Stelladorable   I don't want to divulge the "finger" issue and ruin it for another viewer.

 

I would be very interested to hear your opinion on the movie.

 

Perhaps you can come up with a logical reason why it became such a big part of the film.

"You people would argue over a free lunch." Unknown Q Poster
Valued Contributor
Posts: 763
Registered: ‎08-22-2019

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

@Mersha  I was going to watch this tonght. I'll let you know what I think. Seems opinion is split down the middle.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 763
Registered: ‎08-22-2019

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

[ Edited ]

@Mersha I watched the movie. I believe the fingers represented the harm we actually do to ourselves when we battle with others, especially over some stubborn ideology or high minded excuse (ie: you're dull, I'm an artist, you're a cow herder). The larger picture I thought was the civil war n the mainland, which is really what I think the analogy is about.

Brother battling brother over stubborn views that won't change, hurting themselves in the process and eventually crossing the point of no return. Where no forgiveness is possible. That was happening on the mainland and on the island, and actually within the individual households of the characters.

 

ETA: I loved this movie. I laughed out loud and cried too. I thought it was beautiful. beautiful scenery, beautiful music, beautifully written and acted. Kerry Condon gets my bid for supporting actress and so far, as I'm watching these movies, this pic gets my pick for best pic.😍

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,725
Registered: ‎10-04-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

This is a good idea!!!  That way we can check in here from time to time to be update.  If we want to risk watching one we always can.

Sending joy, prayers, love and gentle hugs to all who need them this holiday season.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,886
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....


@Stelladorable wrote:

@Mersha I watched the movie. I believe the fingers represented the harm we actually do to ourselves when we battle with others, especially over some stubborn ideology or high minded excuse (ie: you're dull, I'm an artist, you're a cow herder). The larger picture I thought was the civil war n the mainland, which is really what I think the analogy is about.

Brother battling brother over stubborn views that won't change, hurting themselves in the process and eventually crossing the point of no return. Where no forgiveness is possible. That was happening on the mainland and on the island, and actually within the individual households of the characters.

 

ETA: I loved this movie. I laughed out loud and cried too. I thought it was beautiful. beautiful scenery, beautiful music, beautifully written and acted. Kerry Condon gets my bid for supporting actress and so far, as I'm watching these movies, this pic gets my pick for best pic.😍


 

@Stelladorable  I appreciate your review and glad that you enjoyed the movie.

 

I understood the theme of the movie but just was uncomfortable how they chose to depict it.  I wish they had picked another way.  It's just....the fingers and the donkey! Smiley Sad

 

Did you notice that Colm Doherty was so worried that no one would remember him?  I thought that was part of the finger issue also.

 

In any event, I was not a fan of the movie but I know many enjoyed it.

 

Thank heavens for variety in the arts.

 

"You people would argue over a free lunch." Unknown Q Poster
Valued Contributor
Posts: 763
Registered: ‎08-22-2019

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....


@Mersha wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

@Mersha I watched the movie. I believe the fingers represented the harm we actually do to ourselves when we battle with others, especially over some stubborn ideology or high minded excuse (ie: you're dull, I'm an artist, you're a cow herder). The larger picture I thought was the civil war n the mainland, which is really what I think the analogy is about.

Brother battling brother over stubborn views that won't change, hurting themselves in the process and eventually crossing the point of no return. Where no forgiveness is possible. That was happening on the mainland and on the island, and actually within the individual households of the characters.

 

ETA: I loved this movie. I laughed out loud and cried too. I thought it was beautiful. beautiful scenery, beautiful music, beautifully written and acted. Kerry Condon gets my bid for supporting actress and so far, as I'm watching these movies, this pic gets my pick for best pic.😍


 

@Stelladorable  I appreciate your review and glad that you enjoyed the movie.

 

I understood the theme of the movie but just was uncomfortable how they chose to depict it.  I wish they had picked another way.  It's just....the fingers and the donkey! Smiley Sad

 

Did you notice that Colm Doherty was so worried that no one would remember him?  I thought that was part of the finger issue also.

 

In any event, I was not a fan of the movie but I know many enjoyed it.

 

Thank heavens for variety in the arts.

 


Yes, I figure that's why he was trying his "hand" at composition and performance, because those parts of him would live on. Then he went and ruined the best, part of himself and for what? Over some ridiculous, nonsensical reason he convinced himself was legitimate. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,782
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

It was expecting a nomination for best picture and actress but fell short. We watched NOPE. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I was bored. 

 

Will watch TAR this week. 

 

Enjoying the reviews thanks to all. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,486
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....


@Stelladorable wrote:

@Mersha I watched the movie. I believe the fingers represented the harm we actually do to ourselves when we battle with others, especially over some stubborn ideology or high minded excuse (ie: you're dull, I'm an artist, you're a cow herder). The larger picture I thought was the civil war n the mainland, which is really what I think the analogy is about.

Brother battling brother over stubborn views that won't change, hurting themselves in the process and eventually crossing the point of no return. Where no forgiveness is possible. That was happening on the mainland and on the island, and actually within the individual households of the characters.

 

ETA: I loved this movie. I laughed out loud and cried too. I thought it was beautiful. beautiful scenery, beautiful music, beautifully written and acted. Kerry Condon gets my bid for supporting actress and so far, as I'm watching these movies, this pic gets my pick for best pic.😍


@Stelladorable 

 

Yes. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,886
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

It was expecting a nomination for best picture and actress but fell short. We watched NOPE. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I was bored. 

 

Will watch TAR this week. 

 

Enjoying the reviews thanks to all. 


 

@granddi   After you watch "Tar," please come back and post an opinion.

 

I have seen trailers for it and I am just not sure I would like it.

"You people would argue over a free lunch." Unknown Q Poster
Valued Contributor
Posts: 763
Registered: ‎08-22-2019

Re: I watched it so you dont have to....

@just bee so glad you thought the movie was beautiful also. So many details that just made me love it. Haunting, I would call it, but laugh out loud funny in spots...

 "Your daddy was killed by a bread truck"

 " it can't be happening! My Ma was killed by a bread truck! If it's the same truck I'm going to kill someone!!! "

 

 "Padraic is dull"

 "But he's ALWAYS been dull!!!! Why now?????"

 

 @granddi Tar is next on my list. Echo @Mersha  would love for you to leave your review!