Frequent Contributor

My cable bill was received today in the mail.  And I just cannot see paying over $125 just for cable.  So I am thinking going with streaming through You Tube TV.  I believe I can get 100 channels for around $75 a month.  Anyone have this subscription, and do you like it?  Do they keep the price at $75, or is it like cable that keeps raising their price?

Only a few years ago I could get a combination of cable, internet and phone for under $100 for all 3 services.  Now it is unbelievbly just under $400!  

Thank you for any information.

Honored Contributor

Can't help you because I don't stream. But just about every year I wind up calling my cable provider and usually get a big price adjustment.  Currently for cable, internet and phone we pay $270 almost $100 of which is taxes and fees.  We have no plans to "cut the cable" LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Streaming Advice

[ Edited ]

@cornicopia.  I've subscribed to YouTubeTV for over 3 years and have been very satisfied with it.  I can always find something I'm interested in watching.  I've tried others but YouTube has been the best.

All the streaming services periodically raise their rates a few dollars a month.  I think mine was about $69. When i first signed up

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@cornicopia  Some months ago, we dropped cable in favor of an Amazon Firestick that works on our smart TV. I think we paid under $30 for it. We can stream a great many channels through it without extra charges (especially if you have Prime). We occasionally  pay to see a show we particularly want if not available with Firestick.

The savings were enormous!

Respected Contributor

@cornicopia ..I'm going to follow your post because I've been thinking about dropping cable too.  One of the reasons cable is going up is more and more people are dropping it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk,  I think the cost of carrying sports is one of the biggest culprits in the cost of cable and to a lesser degree the increased costs of streaming services as they sign exclusive rights for sports coverage.

Carriage agreements with local station owners have also become costly to cable/satellite providers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I've been streaming for several years. I have HULU Live. I'm satisfied with it. It does go up periodically but it's still much cheaper than cable. 

Esteemed Contributor

We started 3+ years ago with a 7-day trial on Hulu.  Didn't even make it 3 days before with disconnected that.  Then did a 7-day trial on YouTube TV and had been with them ever since.  Lots of variety and we get our local news stations.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

You will be so happy you cut cable. I was paying 180 and it was killing me. They didn't want to work with me either. 

I went with Roku streaming which was 30 to buy and there are so many free channels to watch. I have 2 channels I pay 5.99 for to watch the games plus lots of other stuff and that's it. I hooked up an antenna to watch the local channels.  

It's been over 2 years now and I am so happy. I was afraid to cut cable. The wifi Internet goes up with taxes but it's 84.00 now. I started at 55. That includes wifi Internet & phone. The taxes are what's awful.

I wish I had cut cable a lot sooner.

Honored Contributor

I've been a Directv satellite customer for over 20 years. Each year they raise my rates but I have to call them to lower it to an agreeable amount good for a year. BUT the last time they lowered it they increased my rates three months into my year agreement to lower it. I was furious.

I still want the experience of having the 'cable/satellite experience' with the features that come along with it. Streaming falls short of those offerings so I'm considering going to Directv Stream which is almost the exact same thing as their satellite service except it's on the internet and significantly cheaper. Directv Stream offers 3 levels of packages. All I need to do is get them to ship me their streaming box w/remote and then pick a package which is price-fixed for 2 years. Still deciding.